harbour 1100 AD

Started by Dune, May 26, 2015, 10:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Logically it should, as the warper PF is in 3D space.

mhaze

Matt

Quote from: Dune on July 30, 2015, 02:52:43 AMI need to find out if warping the displacement is different from warping the underlying color structure and then displacing. I can imagine by warping small detail too much, some overlap may occur in wavelets, which practically halts the rendering process.

Are you using a colour shader and converting that to displacement? If you warp the colour and then convert that into displacement, it gives exactly the same result as converting into displacement and then warping the displacement. The warper just modifies the texture coordinates, and in both setups the thing that uses the texture coordinates is the colour shader.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Quote from: Oshyan on July 30, 2015, 06:49:31 PM
Warping in color space should be much less problematic than warping displacement, as far as I understand. Matt will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

This is true if you don't use the warped colour to generate displacement. If you do, then you're warping displacement.

Matt

Oshyan

Yes, I realize now that you're warping a 3D color function, so the result is still warped 3D, and thus creates the same output. Right?

- Oshyan

Dune

I still think there should be a difference, or I get something wrong. Suppose you take a sinus, displace it up so you have neat straight rows of displacement, then warp this by some (other) color function (in 3D space); depending on where the whites and blacks are in 3D space, the sinus ribs will be displaced sideways, so some will move further out than other, hence overlapping could occur. Or am I wrong?

Matt

Quote from: Dune on August 01, 2015, 03:09:37 AM
I still think there should be a difference, or I get something wrong. Suppose you take a sinus, displace it up so you have neat straight rows of displacement, then warp this by some (other) color function (in 3D space); depending on where the whites and blacks are in 3D space, the sinus ribs will be displaced sideways, so some will move further out than other, hence overlapping could occur. Or am I wrong?

What you're describing is displacement upon a displacement. But warping (also known as "domain distortion" or "domain warping") is a different thing, which warps the texture coordinates of the original function, and that function doesn't know that it will eventually be used to generate some displacement.

Matt

Dune

OK. Thanks Matt, good to know I'm not in trouble with overlapping waves then.

And while I'm here, some more small croptests.

DocCharly65

Very nice!

The first one remembers me to the times when I was a little boy and read The adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn  :)

Dune

Thanks. Yes, close to finish. Client is on holiday, so I've got time for other stuff while I wait for final green light. And then rendering... luckily I just ordered my new 6-core machine.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Beauty. Of specific interest is the way you've "animated" this still image with the poses of the characters....well done Ulco. Love the kids playin by the shore. Can almost hear the giggles. 8)
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

kaedorg

Happy for your 6-core. Hope that you'll give some infos about your machine and how it works for render times.

David