harbour 1100 AD

Started by Dune, May 26, 2015, 10:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Quote from: Dune on August 04, 2015, 03:07:22 AM
OK. Thanks Matt, good to know I'm not in trouble with overlapping waves then.

Actually it can be a problem if you warp displacements so much that they fold back on themselves. I was just saying that it doesn't help to warp the colour instead, because it still ends up warping the displacement in the same way.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Ah, but that was my concern from the start! Mmmm. But if you warp the underlying color and then displace up (or up and down), you won't have that problem I figured.
So suppose I really wanted the water shader to produce the waves, I can take them through a displacement to scalar, then warp, then add displacement again. Instead of warping the water shader as is.

Matt

Quote from: Dune on August 05, 2015, 12:44:05 AM
Ah, but that was my concern from the start! Mmmm. But if you warp the underlying color and then displace up (or up and down), you won't have that problem I figured.
So suppose I really wanted the water shader to produce the waves, I can take them through a displacement to scalar, then warp, then add displacement again. Instead of warping the water shader as is.

My understanding is that that would not solve any problems you have with warping, but if works for you I'd be interested to see how it differs and try to understand why.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

We might have a misunderstanding, I guess, but I'll see if I can figure out the difference in reality instead of my theoretical blabla. I've taken out most warp in the river anyway, so it's not that important anymore.

Dune

Nearly finished, here in final image ratio. Some stuff to be added; small boy sitting on pier on right, some flocks of birds in sky and above water, change of sail color middle ship, addition of 2 'seaman' on the front ship...
And I need to think whether I like this sky. I don't want to make it heavy (it should be a nice summer day), but am not entirely satisfied with the clouds. It's taking up a lot of space on the 1230x385cm wall, so it should be interesting.
I had to add some yellow in post, as the render was rather cool, so I might think about atmo settings too. Watery Dutch light would be nice, perhaps add some very hazy big low clouds.

The final will be printed on canvas with a series of led lights behind it, which might even be computer controlled for some light effects. Should be very nice, I think.

bobbystahr

Bash on my friend, I'm already too gob smacked to even comment....super image...and computerized lighting...bonus.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

That looks so f****** fantastic!!!! I love images you can stare at, discovering some more details even an hour later.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on August 20, 2015, 08:37:58 AM
That looks so f****** fantastic!!!! I love images you can stare at, discovering some more details even an hour later.

hear hear
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Kadri

With all the details it looks great Ulco :)

mhaze

j meyer

Always nice to watch these illustrations develop.
Agree about the sky.
A "Flying Dutchman" maybe? ;)

AP

Very, very impressive.    8)

Would it be a type of lighting control system that alters the colors and dimming? For example if they want a faked sunset to occur.

otakar

Pretty good, but you should do something about those red circles all over the place.

Just kidding, of course :)

This is again TG mastery on display. The sheer variety of stuff you manage to incorporate into a scene is just astounding. Of course making objects specifically for a project is a great help but you also need the patience and eye to put it all together so it gives a realistic impression. A particular thing I need to point out is your ground cover here. Just love the diversity, that's on another level from most everyone here. The sky seems fine to me, btw.

I'd love to see the display in person one day...

Gannaingh

Dune

Thanks, guys. After a while I get kind of afraid to work on it. So much work gone in that I am always expecting it to collapse, or explode or that I just can't load it anymore.

I don't exactly know about the features this lightwall has, whether it's just plain, even light or can be increased or decreased, or color changed in places. Should be opened in October and after that you'd just have to visit the city of Venlo for a real viewing. I, for one, can't wait.

Here's some tests I didn't post yet. The jetty still gets the kid.