A handy idea

Started by bobbystahr, June 14, 2015, 04:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Ever since we got the handy Colour tab on the Populator I've though that that would be really handy in the Fake stone dialogue as well...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

I guess, Bobby talks about more control about the variation (using PFs, distribution shaders or other shaders) instead of only some color variation (which doesn't work too well in my opinion).

bobbystahr

Actually Hannes I was referring to the Variation Colour as I've found it a bit rudimentary, but when a large expanse of veg is involved some variation is needed if you've only the Free version and 3 pops, and it is great for that. Choice of colour range is important and I've yet to try a Surface layer network in that slot...hmmm...why not he asks himself....The Fake stone colour variation works not bad if you are using a grey or white stone, but is weak compared to the Tab in the Populator...just my opinion of course.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on June 14, 2015, 11:24:55 AM
Actually Hannes I was referring to the Variation Colour as I've found it a bit rudimentary, but when a large expanse of veg is involved some variation is needed if you've only the Free version and 3 pops, and it is great for that. Choice of colour range is important and I've yet to try a Surface layer network in that slot...hmmm...why not he asks himself....The Fake stone colour variation works not bad if you are using a grey or white stone, but is weak compared to the Tab in the Populator...just my opinion of course.

I too do not like the Colour Variation scale. It is very "hard" and not easy to create natural looks. Leaving you to use a complex network of surface shaders for desired effect using, again, more surface layers over your base geometry for the stones. Which is essentially the same as having nice node option under the color tab.