Playing with displacement

Started by nvseal, August 09, 2007, 12:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

This is a test that I thought turned out pretty well. All comments welcome.

old_blaggard

Looks a bit too red for me, but I love the displacements you've gotten.  They're very detailed and realistic :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

I agree.  Too red, but fantastic displacement.  Woohoo.  Now, if we can just see a planet at a distance with that kind of displacement.  Planet shaders with fake stone displacement - yah, that's the ticket!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

sflynn

I like the red-orange color. Obviously the result of iron ore deposits.  ;)

Very nice.

Tangled-Universe

This looks very nice! Since the release of the tg2tp I've been trying to create these kind of displacements and with succes. Frankly, some very good!
Only thing is, and I'm wondering if you're experiencing the same, is that the rendertime increase dramatically when using such displacements.
How long did this one took to render and at which settings? (res, detail, AA and GI)
I remember one of mine took well over 10 minutes to render a 20% crop at 400x300 resolution without GI (fill lights, which is faster and I have an AMD 3500+ with 2GB RAM)
Imagine how long it would take to render it at 800x600 (or even more) and with detail about 0.7!
What's your idea about this?

Martin

Volker Harun

lightning

wow love the texture on the rocks ;D

rcallicotte

Martin, I can't answer for the beginner of this thread, but I've seen the same increase in render time when using a lot of displacements.  I haven't checked to see the exact ratios of what causes what delays, though.

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on August 09, 2007, 07:21:30 PM
Only thing is, and I'm wondering if you're experiencing the same, is that the rendertime increase dramatically when using such displacements.

nvseal

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on August 09, 2007, 07:21:30 PM
This looks very nice! Since the release of the tg2tp I've been trying to create these kind of displacements and with succes. Frankly, some very good!
How long did this one took to render and at which settings? (res, detail, AA and GI)
I remember one of mine took well over 10 minutes to render a 20% crop at 400x300 resolution without GI (fill lights, which is faster and I have an AMD 3500+ with 2GB RAM)
Imagine how long it would take to render it at 800x600 (or even more) and with detail about 0.7!
What's your idea about this?

Martin

I have seen the same render time increases. Sorry, I don't remember the render time of this image (I think it was something like 1.5 to 2 hours). Render Quality 1: Atmosphere quality 64: GI 2

Tangled-Universe

1.5 to 2 hours? Ohhhh...that's short!  ;D

rcallicotte

Yes, that is considerably short, depending on what else is in the TGD.  The displacements are very good here, but I've seen some of Volker's offerings of TGDs render relatively fast with a considerable amount of texturing, etc.  The Fake Stones I put up recently in the File section render pretty quickly.

Again, this is good work, nvseal.