screwing around with architecture

Started by TheBadger, July 04, 2015, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I thought you did that deliberatley. Did you check 'cast shadows' in the object tab?

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Dune

TheBadger

I just turned the image map displacement back to positive. The shadows came back. Bug.
:'(
I never win ;D :-\ :-[
It has been eaten.

Dune

Ah, well, I had the same problem with leaves and sails for instance, and already reported it to Matt, but it's kind of hard to find a real solution. If you have a ship's sail and want to add some bump, it will look good on one side, but not on the other. Same with leaves. I don't know if two-sided has any influence, though, never tested it extensively.

TheBadger

I thought af first that 2 sided was doing it. But that dose not appear to have an effect in this regard.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Here is the difference.

[attachimg=1]
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Another problem that I forgot to mention.

My model is not one object. It is make of many objects, for example, all the columns are individuals with their own UV space. But in TG, I have one object, with no access to the individual parts, meaning, I can one image map in for the entire building, when I should be able to add a map for each part.

First time I have had any problems with this aspect. Not sure what the deal is.
It has been eaten.

j meyer

Quote...My model is not one object. It is make of many objects, for example, all the columns are individuals with their own UV space. But in TG, I have one object, with no access to the individual parts, meaning, I can one image map in for the entire building, when I should be able to add a map for each part...

You need to apply a different shader/material (inMaya) to any part you want to have it's own
shader in TG.

Matt

It all goes dark with negative displacement because the shadows are cast from the non-displaced object. This is because the ray tracer doesn't support displacement on imported objects yet.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

TheBadger

Quote from: j meyer on July 22, 2015, 12:10:14 PM
Quote...My model is not one object. It is make of many objects, for example, all the columns are individuals with their own UV space. But in TG, I have one object, with no access to the individual parts, meaning, I can one image map in for the entire building, when I should be able to add a map for each part...

You need to apply a different shader/material (inMaya) to any part you want to have it's own
shader in TG.

Ahh, ok, thats kinda what I thought. otherwise I was thinking it was because I have groups. But as it is now, I DO have one shader connected to each part. I though that would just be easier to deal with, that I could change it any time. But I guess not. Thanks for the conformation on the issue!

Quote from: Matt on July 22, 2015, 06:04:49 PM
It all goes dark with negative displacement because the shadows are cast from the non-displaced object. This is because the ray tracer doesn't support displacement on imported objects yet.

Matt

Ok, I see.  Thanks for the answer in the context of this model. I read everything in these threads, but a lot of the time it does not really help until I run into the issue my self in my own project naturally.

How annoying would it be to ask if it is fixed in the next update, and how soon until the next update be out?  ;) ;D Just busting your balls Matt. Keep on the way you are.
It has been eaten.

Matt

Ray-traced displacement on imported objects won't be possible until Terragen 4.x, because it's a big change. It might not be in 4.0, but it is on the roadmap for the future.

3.3 is probably just a few weeks away. We're addressing some remaining bugs but it shouldn't be very long now.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

paq

Congrats TheBadger for the achievement  ;)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but will 3.3 have the new 3d erosion function ?  8)
Gameloft

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

The erosion plugin is being developed by a 3rd party and will not be packaged with Terragen. So its release date isn't tied to Terragen release dates. Daniil, the developer, is working toward a public release but he would be the one to provide any more specific information than that. In the meantime we do intend to share more erosion images soon. Development can be unpredictable at times, as I'm sure you all know. :D

- Oshyan