screwing around with architecture

Started by TheBadger, July 04, 2015, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Quote from: Oshyan on July 24, 2015, 08:27:50 PM
...Development can be unpredictable at times, as I'm sure you all know. :D...

Not sure why but  the word "Schadenfreude" came directly to my mind :D

TheBadger

Quotepleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

Ha ha! like I said, being part of an online community is kinda like watching reality TV. Sometimes you want something bad to happen just because you are board. ;D  :o
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Quote from: TheBadger on July 25, 2015, 07:42:59 AM
Quotepleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

Ha ha! like I said, being part of an online community is kinda like watching reality TV. Sometimes you want something bad to happen just because you are board. ;D  :o

LOL! You should have seen what happened before version 1 (?) came out...or more exactly came out very late Michael.
I was lurking at that time.It was reality TV show as its maximum.
Planetside have learned much from those days.
But we should not dig up old wounds...opsss  ;D

TheBadger

funny.

OK, I have started doing texturing in TG following fleetwood. But I want to ask a general question here about obj.

Quote from: j meyer on July 22, 2015, 12:10:14 PM
Quote...My model is not one object. It is make of many objects, for example, all the columns are individuals with their own UV space. But in TG, I have one object, with no access to the individual parts, meaning, I can one image map in for the entire building, when I should be able to add a map for each part...

You need to apply a different shader/material (inMaya) to any part you want to have it's own
shader in TG.

My question is, is this normal^^ Because as I am doing this texturing stuff in TG, I realize that it would indeed be easier to just have one general lambert or marble texture out of maya, and then go into each part in TG to texture. But it seems like I have to do it twice no mater what. I mean, assign shaders in maya then again in tg, as posed to ones for all in maya and then individually in TG.

And from that, does anyone know what the answer would be if we were talking about FBX objects?

Thanks
It has been eaten.

j meyer

As far as I know this is indeed 'normal'/necessary.
It's just that you have to do something to tell TG how many shader nodes
and for which parts it has to create for your model.
But assigning in maya or elsewhere only means you have to simply assign
a shader to any group of polys you want to have separate shader.
Only assign it to that group,nothing else required.You can use copies of that
shader as long as they are named differenty (like Phong01,Phong02 etc) and you
don't use UVs.With UVs you need the corresponding shader (in maya) of course.

Couldn't try with fbx so far,as I don't a fbx2014 reading app to test with.
TG doesn't import geometry via fbx as of now.

I would prepare a bit more detailed explanations on the shader stuff for the
other thread,if there's interest.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on July 26, 2015, 11:29:59 AM
I would prepare a bit more detailed explanations on the shader stuff for the
other thread,if there's interest.

Always.......
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

fleetwood

a shader to any group of polys you want to have separate shader..........

For what it's worth, similar work of breakout and shader assigning needs to be done in C4D.

bobbystahr

Quote from: fleetwood on July 26, 2015, 04:11:02 PM
a shader to any group of polys you want to have separate shader..........

For what it's worth, similar work of breakout and shader assigning needs to be done in C4D.

Imagine3D as well...seems universal
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

OK guys thank you. But I am having a big problem with this part now.
I fixed all my issues in Maya; faces and uvs. I then made a texture assignment to each part of the model that I wanted to add and edit a TG texture to.
SO everything looks good in maya. But now when I render the model in TG, it is all black, and no object parts in the internal node area node... Just the same as before (only one shader texture) but renders all black.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Have you tried to use the changed obj file directly by using the same old  name in the old TGD?
If you do this it this can be problematic.
Import the changed obj ones again as a new obj import.

I mostly had this kind of problem. Curious if it is this or not.

TheBadger

That was it KAdri! Works as I thought it should now.

Funny though, I had been making changes throughout the threads, and there was no problems. I guess it depends on some unknown line in the sand where it just ends up being to many changes and you have to re load everything. This is one of the more frustrating bugs(?). It adds a lot of time to things when you can't add changes quickly and easily.

I hope that when the SDK is out, someone will make a live update plug-in for PS/TG, for one. Would make PS effectively a live image editor for TG.
PS is common, Probably too much to hope for for a live update button for all the modelers and big packages though.

Thank much. I would eventually tried re loading into a new scene, but I am very glad that I got the answer right off and did not have to spend time checking every possibility that came to mind.

:)
It has been eaten.

Kadri

There was a thread were this was discussed. Don't remember but maybe Ulco or others talked for a way to use this.
But importing ones again was the easiest way for me. I don't remember even if there is a way that works without problem.
Guys?

Dune

I don't quite grasp the issue (possible because it's early morning), but I also have that sometimes an exported object has no vertices, and/or there's no parts inside. Exporting again mostly resolves that, and the parts are there again. Mysterious.
I do know that if I import an obj in LW, I have to assign UV's again to the obj texture map, or there won't be any parts either (or something, sometimes it's really complicated).

TheBadger

Quote(or something, sometimes it's really complicated).

When it is it not complicated? Finding easy ways to do stuff in 3D is like hunting tooth fairies. Sure their out there, but have you ever seen one stuffed and hanging on someones cabin wall? ;D
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on July 28, 2015, 06:28:12 AM
Quote(or something, sometimes it's really complicated).

When it is it not complicated? Finding easy ways to do stuff in 3D is like hunting tooth fairies. Sure their out there, but have you ever seen one stuffed and hanging on someones cabin wall? ;D

LOL............
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New