Strange happenings

Started by yossam, July 30, 2015, 01:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

I am having some strange things happening with a scene I am working on. As is in the pic............165Mb of geometry and 60Mb of textures. I would say, 75% 4k. I think I have loaded bigger models before with no problem. Not this baby. Ram usage with background programs and TG open to default scene is at 13%. When I open this one, ram usage gradually goes up to 94% when finally open. I get the little pop-up about preparing object for roughly 5 minutes. Once open, the only choice you have in the preview window is bounding box or solid shade for placing objects. Wireframe is so slow it's ridiculous, and I didn't even try textured.

Could this be driver related (graphics). This is the first "heavy" scene I have worked on since updated a couple of days ago. The render is a low quality, sun behind camera shot just to show the models. This is nowhere near done, or maybe it is on this computer. Any suggestions, ideas, curse words.............I'm open to anything right now.

Oshyan

If RAM usage is going up to 94% just loading the geometry and textures, then it's probably a memory issue. When you say it's the first heavy scene you have worked on since "updated" a couple of days ago, what are you referring to? Update? Upgrade? Of what?

How much memory do you have? And what kind of graphics card?

Keep in mind that those textures may be 60MB *on disk*, but at 4000 pixels square for many of them, even if the image in JPG format is relatively small (a few MB), Terragen still has to "decompress" the image into straight, uncompressed RGB values to view and render it. Thus the actual memory use for your textures may be much higher than their size on disk.

- Oshyan

yossam

After I posted this got a notification for new graphics driver from Nvidia. I installed it, haven't tried the file again. I have 16 Gb of ram and GTX 780 4 GbDDR5. I am slowly getting my new pooter set-up. I may just have to save it for later.

Dune

Nice setup anyway, so I hope it'll work out. Take it easy on the ground structures. If you want something different why not make a wet scene out of it, rain, puddles on ground, etc. The cat will be indoors then, no doubt. A cat recently ran through our garden and mistook one of the quite overgrown pools for solid ground. He didn't like it, when al the way down.

yossam

Thought about that with the wet setting. By the way it's a dog.  :P

Dune

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Quote from: yossam on July 30, 2015, 01:42:22 AM
After I posted this got a notification for new graphics driver from Nvidia. I installed it, haven't tried the file again. I have 16 Gb of ram and GTX 780 4 GbDDR5. I am slowly getting my new pooter set-up. I may just have to save it for later.

Hey I remember some time ago your announcement about your new rig but did u do the TG render test? 
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

yossam

Since my bought with pneumonia, I have very little get up and go. I think it has gone up and went. Still working on transferring files, getting rid of junk files, etc. I haven't rendered anything on the new rig yet.

PabloMack

You say something strange is happening. It must be the "ghost" in your "ghost town". Sorry to hear that you had pneumonia. I hope you'll be feeling more energetic soon. And nice scene! Someone needs to write a screen play so that it can be used as a virtual set.