Editing my own posts

Started by Hannes, July 30, 2015, 04:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

It seems the "modify"-button has vanished in my own posts. Is it only me, or do others have the same problem?

Hannes

Now it's there. But only in this thread. In other threads it's gone (or is this normal?... :-[)

Kadri

Lately a user deleted all his posts.
Oshyan said that there was a time depending editing feature that wasn't active.
Maybe it is active now or it is because of the new server merger i don't know.

Kadri

Looks like i can not modify my own posts too that are older then 2 days or so Hannes.

Hannes

Maybe one of the staff members can enlighten us?

Dune

Gone! Help!

Ah, now it's back again. Seems like only postst with attachmenst can be modified. Then again, this one hadn't at first. Mmmmmm.....

Hannes

No, my (older) posts with attachments can't be edited as well. Maybe some server migration issue?

TheBadger

I am never very happy when my freedoms are curtailed, and the reason for it is that someone else behaved in a way that was not desirable.
This kind of attitude (taking away privileges/rights/freedoms) because of a few, Is way too FUCKING prevalent in people these days. I don't respect it. It makes me madder than the original bad Behavior.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Michael i understand you.But i have seen it in other forums too.

Some guys does say some things and the others answers.
When you haven't quoted him you can look very strange and the forum suffers from these kind of problems.

I have probably not changed anything from my own posts except 1-2 posts probably in all these years (when i do it is for grammar changes and for clarity only). And believe me there are so stupid ones, i should have deleted them all. They are too much to change anyway :D

Seriously i don't like it but i would certainly use this restriction too if i had a forum.

And maybe it is only because of the server change?

Hannes

I tried to edit my older posts to update the subject mentioning a final result. I hope it's only some server issue. Of course it's annoying if someone misuses this function, but how often does this happen here?

Kadri

Quote from: Hannes on July 30, 2015, 07:36:01 AM
I tried to edit my older posts to update the subject mentioning a final result. I hope it's only some server issue. Of course it's annoying if someone misuses this function, but how often does this happen here?

I have seen it here at least 3 times with massive results in the last 5 years. And those where only the all post deleters.

Anyway i see this more like the traffic lamps. They restrict you but until a different usable method i would still want them.

Hannes

How does one delete all his posts? I always wanted to know that. Is there any hidden "delete all my bloody posts"-button or do you have to delete them one by one? Tedious!!

TheBadger

Quote from: Kadri on July 30, 2015, 07:06:46 AM

Michael i understand you.But i have seen it in other forums too.

Some guys does say some things and the others answers.
When you haven't quoted him you can look very strange and the forum suffers from these kind of problems.

I have probably not changed anything from my own posts except 1-2 posts probably in all these years (when i do it is for grammar changes and for clarity only). And believe me there are so stupid ones, i should have deleted them all. They are too much to change anyway :D

Seriously i don't like it but i would certainly use this restriction too if i had a forum.

And maybe it is only because of the server change?
In this case I understand you and agree 100%. Even so, I would be 100% against it. In the end it will only hurt our own ability to make our posting better and more useful. And then their there is the question of who owns the content of our posts. This is not a "publisher". We have no agreement or pay for the time we spend adding content here. So who owns it?

QuoteAnd maybe it is only because of the server change?
Yes, but at least this topic is as interesting (potentially) as any political discussion we have had, but is also directly related to us as a community. And of course you know that Oshyan and others have broached this topic many times in the past.
And again, I actually understand and even agree 100% with the complaints as being both legit and meaningful and accurate.

But people really need to start drawing a line on this stuff. The only solution anyone has about any problem anywhere in the world anymore, is to take away freedoms and privileges, and I am just sick to death from it.

I edit my posts a lot. Almost always I am adding to the content. I do it in one post, so that post will make better sense, or have the info more in one place rather than all over a thread. Most contributors here do.

Why should a few make us change?

Anyway, its not my house, I just visit. But I don't like the idea of the thing.

Like you I have wanted to delete, I am sure most everyone has. But we don't. The system works the way it is. A much bigger problem is people posting questions, and not posting if the solution they found works. SO there are hundreds of threads with questions and no final resolution... This is much more problematic to the quality of content here, than one or two people quitting and taking all of their stuff with them.

Anyway, in and of its self it does not upset me too much. But in the greater context of how the world behaves now, it really really pisses me off as an idea/way of going.

;D Here in ends todays badger rant. I would like to thank you all for flying LSD air, and remind you to check the overheads before departure.

*See I just edited. There, their, they're, to, too, two... I mis type things like this constantly even though I completely understand the right way. But it drives me nuts when I see that I did it. So I edit it even in old post when I see it. LOL I know its a little compulsive. But Its really annoying to me. Funny though, it does not bother me at all when some one else makes the same mistake.

Oooh I just edited again to add a *, for not really any reason at all. but its my post and I wanted to, so i did.... This can go on like this forever, but I just got board with it so Ill stop now ;D
It has been eaten.

Kadri

LOL! Not much to say.
If it gets you feel better it protects us against stupid history alterings...at least at a forum scale.
But we have to trust Oshyan and Matt, can we? :D

Edit: No i won't post a stupid thing from my side because i saw that you edited your above post :)