Tablelands

Started by AP, July 30, 2015, 06:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

I have a basic start of off something here but i am undecided what direction i should take this. I know i need to pile the stones more and fix the strata. I wanted to widen the field of view for that more panoramic effect. Off course color, vegetation and all will come later on.

yossam

The left half looks like it "slid" down the terrain like a mudslide. Is it possible to change the direction of the grooves to the x axis instead of z. And lower the frequency of the grooves like slide marks. I like it, waiting to see where this goes.

AP

The grooves are created using a primary single power fractal and strata and outcrops shader so i do not know if i can alter it that way.

Dune

You could pull them through a transform shader for rotation. And you could try breaking up the long lines by another rotated and masked by PF strata shader, perhaps even on an angle, unless the long lines are intentional and needed.

AP

I might try that but in the meantime i made some more changes and have more piled stones and a better strata effect. I need to add more dirt grime overall for the next iteration.

Some day, i hope to erode all of this and make it look proper.

DocCharly65

Curious, where this goes.
I like the table mountains in the far very much.

archonforest

Cool! Make a Star Wars scene out of it ;)
Or some other sci-fi scene!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

TheBadger

nice render. Looks interesting to me. Curious what the finished feel will be. I can't tell from this where you are going to take it.
It has been eaten.

AP

OK, i added color but still lacking tiny bumps on my strata. Something is there but i need to fix that. Not one hundred percent set on the colors.

Maybe a futuristic outpost can be placed somewhere in there?

Oshyan

Oh, I like this very much! The colors in the strata seem a bit too... pure? Lacking in small-scale detail? But the displacement shapes are fantastic, there's a real sense of geology here, of layers. Well done.

- Oshyan

AP

I added in some more tiny details here and there.

Dune

This is far better than the first iteration, very nice strata.

AP

Alright, great. I do want to add plants but maybe very sparingly. Perhaps some structures.