Opacity in world space for objects

Started by Dune, July 31, 2015, 02:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I've come across this several times, and would like it to work. Basically, what I want is a crude (for it won't be accurate) mask for 'disabling' certain parts of an object population by a mask (in world space). I know certain areas will be half gone, but that won't matter.
Say I have a population of guys on horseback. I can color them differently in space, but I would also like some of them to have a sword, others not. Or a helmet and others not. Randomly. The occasional half helmet is not too bad, it is only meant for low quality background stuff. And if the spacing is big enough and the PF accordingly, the chances for a half helmet are not that big.

But it doesn't work! So here's a feature request; please makes this work. Shouldn't be hard, I guess.

The glass setup is an option, but that takes ages, and is merely suitable for subtle opacity.

Kadri

Haven't tried it at all but did you have a look at the Population tint and-or luminosity diffuse colour ?
Maybe it works different. Doesn't sound that it will work at all but maybe with any luck Ulco?

Edit: Hmm...i see it more clearly what you mean after i tried it myself Ulco. Doesn't work.

Dune

Yeah, too bad. But I think it can be made to work.

Kadri

Wouldn't be surprised :)

Dune

j meyer

Tried it with a tree and could make some leaves vanish,but some others
just turned black.
Maybe some sort of conflicting data?

Dune

I just think the opacity as function doesn't work in world space, and it's a question whether Matt could add that. But it's not that important, so I won't ask (yet).

Matt

It looks like that's a bug we need to fix.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Ah! Should I file it, Matt? Or did you?

Oshyan

Dune