animated tree - 1st try

Started by kaedorg, August 03, 2015, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Stop is probably because the transformation is reversed.

kaedorg

Kadri : ulco is right, the transformation is reversed at frame 100 (middle).
values go from 0 (frame 0) to 1 (frame 100) then to 0 (frame 200).

I could try something like 0 (-1) 100 (0) 200 (1) to see if this stop disappear.
I think that for longer animation, i would need to reverse it.
Also, with a wind effect, the motion is a way go and back anyway.

David

Hannes

I'd recommend not to reverse it. Go from 0 to a value that gives you a natural speed. At the moment I'm testing a combination of mesh displacer and an animated lean factor as Kadri did.
@Kadri: you checked repopulate every frame, didn't you?

Hannes

Just did a quick test with the mentioned combination. It looks very promising. The animated lean factor makes the trees sway gently in the wind and the mesh displacer simulates the smaller movements of the smaller branches and twigs and the fluttering leaves.
Of course the trunks move accordingly, but from certain perspective you won't notice it. Or you'll have to use my double population advice hoping that you won't notice the rigid twigs.

I'll show my results asap if you don't mind (it's your thread! ;))

Kadri

I think you don't need a reverse too David.
Without merged with another powerfractal animation it doesn't look natural if you ask me.
I understand what you mean but just lowering or changing the speed sometimes in the time line would be better to get the look you want.
Or maybe even better as i said merged two or more fractals.

Yes, repopulate every frame was checked Hannes.

Hannes

Thanks, Kadri.
David, the back and forth motion created by the wind will be simulated by the black and white values of the PF. So reversing the speed won't look natural.

kaedorg

Hannes, thanks again for your precious advices.
Next try will include this.

And please share anything you want. If I start this post, all the contributions make this topic very useful for many people.

David

kaedorg

Here is the next try.

Still with Hannes method. Adding his advice, the values in the transform input shader are not reversed at half of the sequence.
Displacement amplitude has been reduced too.

The impression is better but not perfect. IMO, as there is no other focus on sequence, the impression that all leaves are turning around is too strong.
That would probably be reduced if the view have details everywhere and some other animated objects.
I'll continue to test but I guess I'll start to complete the view to check this.

Before that, I gonna try the Kadri method now. To continued...  ;)

David

Kadri

I think exactly the same as you about the video.Needs more tests to get it right probably.
But it is much better.
I have 2 last tests too.Will post later. Mine needs more tests too :)

Kadri

This is my last try on the leaves.
It needs much much more tests.And i will leave it at this for now.

When i saw this a different thing came to my mind. That is in the other post :)

*I used leaning effect,powerfractal displacement restricted with a surface layer and a animated transform input.

*I made the tree in 3 parts. It does have a separate trunk,branches and one high poly leaf that is populated on the branches.
  The leaf is only populated on the upper side of the branches.

*The populated leaf and the branches are displaced with different nodes and values.The trunk is not animated(not much seen anyway).

The vanishing of some leaves is much less then i anticipated.

The thing about the outward displacing when mesh displacement is used that Matt explaned is to me much more clear here.
The leaves doesn't displace in the normal directions.They look like they are growing smaller and bigger mostly.

I think when this kinda same setup would be used with real displacement (Raytrace OFF) the look might be at least on the leaves much better then this.

Kadri

This was the accidentally fun part.

The same setup as above with just a second population more of the leaves for the underside of the tree branches.
I changed only the size of all the objects in time.
With more appropriate displacements and maybe even an animated object sequence it might look much better.

I always wanted to make a classic growing tree animation.
Thanks to you even just as a test and by accident i made one David  ;)

Hannes

Here is my attempt of combining a lean factor animation with the mesh displacer.
It's a bit exaggerated, but you may get the impression of how it may look like. There could also be two populations with differently animated lean factors to make the trees sway less uniformly.
The animation of the lean factor only works if the instances are on an uneven terrain of course, so some trees sway more than others, but that's a quite nice side effect.

Hannes

...and of course there is this ugly pulsating tree trunk to the lower right... ;) :(

kaedorg

Wow.... Great stuff Hannes. Not far from my objectif but still a long road for me  ;)
Agree with tree trunk to the lower right.
I'm testing Kadri's lean effect then I'll try to add the transform input shader for leaves.

And Kadri : nice growing tree. Accidental discoveries can give great stuff.

David

Kadri

Hannes that wind effect would be enough in most cases for me.Nice :)