Reflection of a reflection

Started by N-drju, August 09, 2015, 02:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Hi guys,

Recently I've been trying to make a render with numerous reflective surfaces. However, when I tried to add an externally build primitive with reflective shader attached to it, this is what happened:

[attach=1]

Unless I'm pursuing some impressionist final effect, this is unacceptable! Do you have any ideas what is wrong here? The "mirror" on the right severely distorts the reflected picture. It also does funny things to the water and makes it sorta muddy. This should not happen. Everything looks like it was built from tiny triangles.

Could you tell me how to improve this image / effect? Is it me doing something wrong or is TG simply not too good at such "chain-reflection" stuff?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

2 things come to mind; outside camera frustrum or too low render subdivision setting. Can't atm. recall exactly how to change the first, but the second is inside the render node.

Oshyan

TG is not really built for "chain reflection stuff", as you put it, with highly mirrored/reflective surfaces interacting with minimal distortion. In most cases in nature, reflections are distorted, imperfect, and so TG is optimized for this case more than for perfect mirrors.

That being said, Ulco's suggestions are good and probably point in the right direction. You can probably improve the results, but at the cost of render time. First, in the Renderer node under Advanced tab, try changing Ray Detail Region to 360 degree optimal. If that doesn't help, you can try going into the internal network of the Renderer node and edit the Subdiv Settings node, increase the Ray Detail Multiplier to 1.

- Oshyan

fleetwood

Terragen could come bundled with Crystalgen and Mirrorgen.