How to post a video that has big file size?

Started by TheBadger, August 10, 2015, 12:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hey

I made a 2K time lapse in TG. The file is about 12 seconds and weighs in at just over a gig.
I would like, if possible, to show it at 2K. But where can I post/upload a 1+GB video file?

Never made a 2k video before, so no idea how to deal with it as far as postability goes.

;D I guess I could have worse problems.
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

TheBadger

Yeah, thanks. Sorry, I meant so people can view it on line, not download it to HD, exactly.

Can you upload 2k to youtube for free? You have to pay to use advanced option on vimeo. And I don't know if vimeo supports more than standard HD anyway. But I thought I remembered seeing an option on youtube for higher than 1080 on one of the videos I was watching. I am not sure because I never try res that high on my monitor... Its a problem, but I made the 2k video, I guess I should try to show it.

I don't want to dropbox it because no one will download a gig for 12 seconds.

I am very curious about compression now. but the only way this is interesting at all is if the video can be viewed lossless. Not that my video is so awesome or anything. But its an excuse to catch up on this info at least :)
It has been eaten.

kaedorg

For Youtube, it seems the max is 1080HD.
The Timelapse I posted was 1920 but you just can read in 1080.

Let check if quality is enough for what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdHKkewL2-M

David

Kadri

Whatever size you will post to Vimeo or Youtube those sites will recompress it anyway.
Use a H264 or similar codec to encode it to a good quality and upload it there.

There are some good pages to guide you what to do for those kind of situations.
Youtube and Vimeo does have some guides too.Like this but there are more:
https://vimeo.com/help/compression

Haven't looked for over 2K sizes but there are videos that are 4K so there might be a way.On Youtube at least...

Other then freaks like us nobody wants to download a 1 GB video that is only 12 seconds :)

There are Lossless codecs but i doubt that Youtube or Vimeo kind of sites do support them.

The middle ground might be using such a lossles codec and then using Drobbox or similar sites.
But then everybody has to install that lossless codec to watch it.

If you ask me make a high quality video according the best guidelines and put it on Youtube or Vimeo.
Vimeo encoding looks a little better to me mostly (not sure) and there is one option that i haven't found on Youtube;
users can download the original version from there if they want.

Oshyan

YouTube should natively support 2k uploads. See here for details on how to format your video for best results:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en#

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Thank you guys!

Now I am trying to decide how serious to take setting up a you tube account. Should I think of a good name for a channel and try to build it up into something interesting. Or should I name it Mr. Stinky bottoms, and upload videos of my cat doing very cute things... I don't actually have a cat, but I could totally get one.

I am truly befuddled by all the decisions I have to make in the computer age. Its overwhelming. I mean really. I could work my ass off to produce my ideas (finally) and get no views. Or I could upload a video of an animal farting and totally get rich, or not. Who knows.
I don't know.

Seems no matter what I need a good name though....
Help me think of one!

Mr. Awesome7452145441?
no? 
:o <------ I'm shocked at your doubt of my obvious awesomeness. But ok, I know I should not discount your opinion on this mater.

What then?

This is the worst part. Whatever I choose I am stuck with. Its a digital tattoo!
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

You can change the name afterwards, you know.   :)

PabloMack

Quote from: TheBadger on August 10, 2015, 03:19:12 AMCan you upload 2k to youtube for free? You have to pay to use advanced option on vimeo. And I don't know if vimeo supports more than standard HD anyway. But I thought I remembered seeing an option on youtube for higher than 1080 on one of the videos I was watching. I am not sure because I never try res that high on my monitor... Its a problem, but I made the 2k video, I guess I should try to show it.

1920 is generally regarded as 2K which is a measure of horizontal resolution. The 1080 is vertical though it is often used to measure resolution while disregarding the aspect ratio. But when people talk about 2K vs 4K resolution they are talking about horizontal resolution. I know it is inconsistent but the visual arts industry is full of inconsistent and ambiguous terminology. Some of the lingo is very arcane. I have uploaded many videos to YouTube (for no charge) and often get the message encouraging me to upload 1920X1080 but many don't have the bandwidth in their Internet link nor the speed in their system to view full HD so I haven't uploaded much HD. Besides, YouTube has had the nasty habit of downgrading the resolution that you upload so what is the use in uploading high res when YouTube is going to just lower the res later? What a hypocritical thing they do. It is common for YouTube to lower the res of 1080 to 720 and 480 to 360.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your account will have restrictions that will slacken as your account gets older and you have more views. For example, your videos have a limit of 10 minutes and will later be extended to 20. It's kind of like a limit on a credit card. You will also only have a choice of one of three thumbnails that the systems selects from the video. After about 10000 views or so your account will be given some extra capabilities like uploading a thumbnail of your choice.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.