Crashes on re population

Started by bobbystahr, August 15, 2015, 01:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Since I got this new computer, or maybe the recent TG update, I've been experiencing repeated crashes(TG has stopped responding) but only on re populating. I recall seeing a note on the install of the update but assumed my Windows update had taken care of that. I think it was a .NET update. Could that be causing the crashes and if so what do I look for to update it....thanks to any and all in advance.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Terragen does not use .NET, so that should not be related. Perhaps it is a graphics driver issue? Can you check to make sure you're running the most recent drivers for your graphics card?

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on August 15, 2015, 02:21:58 PM
Terragen does not use .NET, so that should not be related. Perhaps it is a graphics driver issue? Can you check to make sure you're running the most recent drivers for your graphics card?

- Oshyan

will do but when mu previous cpu died I had everything moved over to this dell box with instructions to fully update all drivers at that time so I'm guessing it was done. Where does one find the version # of a video card driver in Win7?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

It really depends on what graphics card you have. Mainly AMD vs. Nvidia vs. Intel. Do you know? If it's AMD or Nvidia, and maybe Intel too, you might have a tray icon that has a "check for updates" button. See if you can find that.

- Oshyan

archonforest

Or click on start and type in the search bar at the bottom: "device manager". When it comes up somewhere at the top double click on Display adapter. There click on driver and you will see an update driver button.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Kadri

Bobby there are many different ones around but this free little program might help you to see many things on your computer very easily.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on August 15, 2015, 03:57:49 PM
It really depends on what graphics card you have. Mainly AMD vs. Nvidia vs. Intel. Do you know? If it's AMD or Nvidia, and maybe Intel too, you might have a tray icon that has a "check for updates" button. See if you can find that.

- Oshyan

Well I found the driver page and the current driver is dated 2011...also as I had an AMD mobo/cpu when I had this built I have an ATI Radeon 5450 video card.
That was a concern when he suggested this dell/intel box. Any specific ATI reports I should know about? A new video card is a bit out of the question at the moment. Guess I'm asking if a driver update is even a good idea. Never did that as till a year ago I had a tech who did it all...left town...sigh.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

archonforest

U can always either roll back to the original driver u had before or simple re-install the earlier one if something goes wrong. U can also create a system restore point before u update the driver so if something goes wrong u can go back to that state. If u need help with this like how to update...etc I can help u. I can give u a short rundown about it if needed.

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on August 16, 2015, 05:00:48 AM
U can always either roll back to the original driver u had before or simple re-install the earlier one if something goes wrong. U can also create a system restore point before u update the driver so if something goes wrong u can go back to that state. If u need help with this like how to update...etc I can help u. I can give u a short rundown about it if needed.

Thanks mate, will get back to you but I don't think it's the drivers causing the problem as I did some tests with the same scene in TG2 Full and no problems although the populating seemed a bit slower to compute. Gonna hold off till I upgrade to 10 before I start messing about...no point doing it twice as I'm sure my card will need a new driver then for sure.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

archonforest

Oshyan

Just because TG2 works doesn't mean it's not a driver problem. TG3 does a lot more with OpenGL and the 3D preview so it's more demanding on the graphics card and its drivers. I would definitely suggest trying to update if your drivers are from 2011!

- Oshyan