Rising Bubbles Approach

Started by WAS, October 06, 2015, 07:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

How do you think one would go about rising bubbles for a underwater scene? I know I could add them post, but I'd really like to have them more dynamic and following my terrain more then me doing it in a 2D aspect. Anyone got any ideas for me?

Hannes

The first thing that came into my mind is using the moving population method that Kadri started here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20351.msg201565.html#msg201565
and the way I used it here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20377.msg201919.html#msg201919

Basically I'd create one or more displaced vertically stretched objects (with their displacement animated over time), make them invisible (and uncheck "cast shadows"), and create some populations of spheres with a glass material applied to them using the stretched object(s) as the object to sit on. Move (animate) the populations upwards and don't forget to check "repopulate every frame".
To create populations on vertical surfaces just rotate the "emitter" so that the pivot points horizontally at the object. You need to do that for all four sides if you want the populated objects be 360° around the emitter object.

I hope that makes sense. I haven't tried that, but it should work.

WAS

Wow that is really in-depth and I think just what I'd need to go about. Thanks for the threads and ideas. I now feel I have an approach I can attempt. And the using a invisible object as the "emitter" is brilliant. I wouldn't have thought about that.

I got my water world scene pretty much finished (except my godrays just aren't working with me so I've added a sub-surface cloud field for scattering of light... it barely helped) and I much like the krill/debris look. Just need some bubble action and plumes of sand (which I have working in another copy... just not well) and good to go with terrain.

Kadri

For more pronounced godrays have a look here.There might be others too of course.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,12040.msg121402.html#msg121402

There is only a cloud layer.No water node in that file.

WAS

Oh wow that's exactly what I envisioned. This is great. Thanks for the help.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on October 07, 2015, 05:32:51 AMBasically I'd create one or more displaced vertically stretched objects (with their displacement animated over time), make them invisible (and uncheck "cast shadows"),

When I make them invisible and uncheck cast shadows I seem to get a black object? Did I miss something?

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 09, 2015, 04:55:34 PM
Quote from: Hannes on October 07, 2015, 05:32:51 AMBasically I'd create one or more displaced vertically stretched objects (with their displacement animated over time), make them invisible (and uncheck "cast shadows"),

When I make them invisible and uncheck cast shadows I seem to get a black object? Did I miss something?

is double sided checked...if so uncheck it  in the sphere and the glass shader.

doh   on the invisible object..disregard the above
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 09, 2015, 04:55:34 PM

Are you sure you made the object "invisible" and did not check "Holdout"?

WAS

Am i understanding right?
Edit: Is "Visible to other Rays" what you mean? Or am I just literally not using the right object?