In the drydock

Started by DocCharly65, October 14, 2015, 02:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Thanks Kadri  :)

My first experience with fusion (I have already installed):
I don't understand so intensive that I even would not know what to ask.
But I have successfully managed to open and close fusion without burning down my PC  ;D

The background of all that is so complicated that I would even have a hard way to go in german language. The english surface doesn't make it easier.

But what will help is just doing something concrete (e.g. an animation with moving sun flares) with the help of youtube tutorials. It worked great with the Cryengine and my first Terragen 3 steps (doing more than open and close the program  ;) ) were parallel to watching the tutorials.

TheBadger

they need to fight. Star trek is best in all the series when stuff is blowing up. I can't help but think I would enjoy watching the Galactica nuking San Fran... I mean star fleet headquarters.
It has been eaten.

DocCharly65

After much research, I found out something unpleasant:

The drydock is too small! Not a bit - absolutely too small!
I had to completely revise all animations. Hard work with all the lights, relative movements...

But now - Look at the new size - It should be authentic now and if you see the small space-shuttle, you can imagine, what kind of monster that drydock must be:

[attach=1]

And now it also brings a few advantages and improvements.
E.g. some added blinking lights (of course only visible in the animation, when finished :) ).
On the Celestia Motherlode homepage (Celestia is a nice free astronomy software) I found the Discovery from Odyssey 2001 modelled by "Jestr"

Also I did some ilumination tests with the Enterprise too. With the lights on the saucer I think it looks more interesting:

[attach=2]

Dune

That's a real drawback. Good lesson, to test size first, then do ALL the work. Must be fun to work on these space animations. I know from I few I did that it renders blazingly fast. No water, no atmo, no tiny displacements, terrific.

DocCharly65

That's what it made easier, Ulco  :)

The shots in empty space are rendering extremely fast. But the planet... still a challenge for a PC   ::) :)

j meyer

What about the starboard/port lights? (And the little white ones on saucer and nacelles)
Should be easy enough with luminosity.
Sorry for being picky. ;)

WAS

Really am loving these scenes. The Cylons look rad. Very ominous. Love the second scene with the starbase in the background with corrected lighting the best.

DocCharly65

These ones , Jochen? Sorry they flash at regular intervals ... so you could not see them  ;)
This weekend I added some more lights but that was not working with luminosity because some parts in the model were stuck together.

So we have over 40 animated lightsources or spotlights in the scene (3 for the new glowing of the sensor dish).

[attach=1]

I am working on 4-5 animations (different POVs and places) for the film.
In this scene we have another (blue) sun for the simulation of the reflections of earth (behind us)

In a making-of I heard that the mostly loved scene of the light technicians was blowing up the Enterprise in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. They hated the model because it was extremely difficult to illuminate - I can understand them now  ;D

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 05, 2015, 05:22:22 PM
Really am loving these scenes. The Cylons look rad. Very ominous. Love the second scene with the starbase in the background with corrected lighting the best.

Sorry - my school English doesn't help me to understand "The Cylons look rad." Could you explain, please?

Dune

You really use so many light sources? And they kind of blink? Then, isn't it easier to use the windows UV map and add an animated world scale PF to vary luminance?

DocCharly65

Ulco, that seems to be a kind of special workflow that I just need to be happy. I need a lamp or a spot to put it somewhere and give it the right direction until I get the light effect I want.  ;)

But most of the little windows and 8 blinking lights are made with maps and the luminosity function :)

j meyer

Aaaah,yeah the intervals,of course I didn't think of that. ;)

It can be quite cumbersome to get these models to do what you want them to.
Things like the lettering on the main hull have to be separate to make them
work as intended in TG,because -in this case at least - you'd have to turn of
cast shadows ideally.Or light emitting things or glass parts etc.
Lots of work often unless you use the model in the same app it was created for.
We have to live with that,I'm afraid.

TheBadger

Hey man, since you like animations, and everyone says this would be fast, please do some animations of the ship traveling with the stars in the back ground moving at warp. Does not even have to be new movie quality, you can do like the original trek series and it would still give much pleasure.

Nerd Solidarity!

By the way, I don't believe I ever saw an episode from any of the series, that showed what would happen if two ships both moving at warp 9 collided head on at warp. Its worth investigating I think.
It has been eaten.

AP

At the very excessive speeds they are moving at, they would vaporize. However in a warp bubble, space moves and not the ship itself so could it happen?    :o

Dune

If space moves at warp speed, doesn't time reverse  :o