Wave Break Issue

Started by WAS, October 30, 2015, 04:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I found a nice wave break function, which looks nice. I inserted it into a test project but I am unable to see any waves. Have I done something wrong with the setup?

Dune

You have to play with the variables a bit, but it's not perfect at all yet. It's not a great setup. Old.

WAS

Namely, what did you adjust? xD

And thanks a lot. It's better then no surf. I'm horrible with math so my understanding, and use of functions is very limited.

Also, by old do you mean there is a more practical, or modern approach to this?

Dune

Ha, I think I changed almost all parameters. You might try the displacement to scalar function and derive a coastal mask out of that, adding a sinus for some 'waves'.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on November 01, 2015, 02:55:34 AM
Ha, I think I changed almost all parameters. You might try the displacement to scalar function and derive a coastal mask out of that, adding a sinus for some 'waves'.

Hmmm. I'm not sure how to go about obtaining a mask. Namely, getting the scalar and then misusing the actually peaks out of the water. Would that be done through a get altitude?

Dune

No, you need to set up like this. There are probably other ways, but this is the easiest.

WAS

Voodoo  ;)

So this gave a lot better surface, and mask for the waves, but for my attempt there seems to be no shore boundaries. The waves are just everywhere. I did try to recreate the node network, but did change up how it was connected.

Masking for the seafoam and wave peaks sure looks better, not sure it's really following the heighest peaks as it originally did in a simpler setup though.

I've attached my attempt, as you can see, waves be a plenty. Haha

Dune

I guess you're asking a question, not just making a statement?

WAS

Yeah, I guess. Is there a way to use the displacement shader to scalar and limit what shows in it to a altitude?

Dune

OK. If you feed the color adjust 25-0 directly into the surface shader input (down below), you can work the color adjust to give the 'coastal heights'. Lets say -100-0. Then hook the rest up again. But your waves are enormous, so you have to decrease the dividing constant shader as well (from 5 way down). And if you want foam only near the coast the Foam Final Mask needs to be masked by the total coastal area (i.e. color adjust 0-1). And I wonder why you needs such elaborate foam with the default shader and all, I think that can be simpler (and faster).

WAS

Quote from: Dune on November 04, 2015, 03:33:02 AM
OK. If you feed the color adjust 25-0 directly into the surface shader input (down below), you can work the color adjust to give the 'coastal heights'. Lets say -100-0. Then hook the rest up again. But your waves are enormous, so you have to decrease the dividing constant shader as well (from 5 way down). And if you want foam only near the coast the Foam Final Mask needs to be masked by the total coastal area (i.e. color adjust 0-1). And I wonder why you needs such elaborate foam with the default shader and all, I think that can be simpler (and faster).

I think it's too late for me to make much sense of that right now. I'll have another read in the morning. I have been noticing the advantages of the negative/extreme values to the colour contrast shader.

I used the default shader as I was originally hoping to use a doctored image from PS but I can't get the tiling to look natural at the scale I have.