Crash while rendering if you adjust base colour sliders

Started by rajm, November 02, 2015, 07:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rajm

I can replicate this fairly easily by

• Open new project
  • Start render and while that's happening
  • Goto shaders and the colour tab of base colours and drag the apply low colour slider up and down 2 or 3 times and it crashes
Doesn't appear to happen if you don't have a render running.
TG 3.3.04.0 (32 bit Ubuntu 15.10 and running under wine and also with 64 bit Vista)
Maybe this relates to the http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19378.msg190278.html#msg190278 discussion?

Dune

I don't think that's very strange, as you are changing something while rendering.

rajm

The geek at play tutorials which come  with terragen 3 encourage this mode of working - maybe they shouldn't?

Dune

Oshyan

Strange rajm, I wasn't aware the tutorials encouraged that. Which one(s), specifically? I'd like to take another look and see what's being suggested.

- Oshyan

rajm

In 10-Creating-First-Scene-In-Terragen3-Part-One.mp4 at around 2'30" he talks about the convenience of running render in the background whilst still editing the network.

WAS

You are free to re-arrange your network I believe, but anything that effects the on-screen rendering has a chance of crashing. Sometimes the renderer will stay alive and render the new settings but I find that rare. I often forget about renderings running in the background.

Dune

I've had an occasion where I changed the position (or color, I don't remember) of an object still 'unrendered' in a large render halfway done. It continued rendering until that bucket was due, then it stopped.

N-drju

From my experience it is not a very good idea to change anything once you hit the render button, especially heightfields or populations. Even the most stable system may fail then.

Just make all adjustments that you need and wait for a render preview, then change setting if necessary. Consider render button as a point of no return!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Tangled-Universe

Without being or wanting to be disrespectful...
The guy behind geekatplay doesn't have a really long history/track-record with TG, so I'm afraid it's a kind of workflow he thinks is fine, possibly because he isn't fully aware of how it works.
However, as others have stated here, it is definitely not recommended to tinker with parameters during rendering.