HELPPPPPP... Website hosting services

Started by TheBadger, November 11, 2015, 05:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hi,

Have any of you experience with services like GoDaddy and others?

I need to build a website. I don't want to use fliker or deventart or anything like this. I want my own site with my own address.
But there are a lot of services. Which ones are good and why?

Freedom and*EASE* to construct the layout/look, stability, low cost, no need for web tools like dreamweaver or to know HTML or Flash, etc..

Can you help?
It has been eaten.

AP

Oshyan

Weebly is probably one of your best options if you want A: ease of editing, and B: are interested in any design structure besides blogging. SquareSpace is another option to consider. Weebly offers a free version with branding in the footer. If you want your own domain you'll need to pay, otherwise you get something like thebadger.weebly.com.

If you want to register your own domain name I highly recommend Namecheap. Best prices and selection, very little upsell BS, easy to deal with, etc.

- Oshyan

AP

I had not heard of these. More recent? Weebly looks very easy to use.

Oshyan

Weebly has been around a while, but it's getting more popular now. Definitely very easy to use.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

THANK YOU GUYSSSSSSS!!!  ;D

I need this for my portfolio. I need to have it by the 20th. I have put this off and put it off, and now I have to cram.

But to be clear it is for an art/design video page. That kinda thing. If it helps you to direct my attention to one over the other or changes your suggestion or anything. I don't need to make it perfect at first, I just need it. I will work on it over time after the 20th to make it better. But first things first.

It has been eaten.

Oshyan

I would definitely still recommend Weebly. Very easy to use and get something decent looking. WordPress will be more flexible but much harder to use, especially to "design". You rely more on finding good existing templates, many of which (the good ones, at least) cost money in themselves. Wordpress.com is very blog-focused, not very flexible; you need to install and host Wordpress (software) yourself to get the most flexibility for non-blog site formats, but then you're paying for the hosting, plus for a theme probably. And it's *still* not as easy to design and adjust as Weebly. :D

Weebly and other similar visual editing WYSWIYG environments aren't the answer for everything, but for the average person creating their own site they're quite useful and good options.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

WAS

I can host you on my dedicated server if ya want.

TheBadger

Thanks man.

Probably just going to go the consumer path on this stuff.
It has been eaten.

cyphyr

Try google sites, it's free and leverages the power of the entire Google ecosystem.
My site is powered and hosted by Google.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

TheBadger

THanks!

Were you able to make it look however you wanted when you set it up? Where there a lot of options for you, or one template to fill with your own images, or how did it go for you? Could you move windows and pages/buttons and such?

Easy to set up and edit later?
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Google Sites is fairly good for simplicity, but last I used it it was far behind systems like Weebly for flexibility and aesthetics. Given you're wanting to make a portfolio type site I don't think it'd be my first choice. But since it's free, it may be worth a shot...

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Guess I am leaning to Weebly or wix.com . More to wix at this moment.

But what is holding me up now is, domain, and bandwidth. Wix offers 1 year fee domain, 3GB storage, and 2GB bandwidth. (plus the template and stuff) for 9.25 a month (no ads)

I am not sure about the bandwidth or domain (regardless of which host) How much bandwidth does one want/need. And is one year free domain good? Not sure yet what it will cost after one year is over either, or what it should cost.

It has been eaten.

Dune

I don't know about other countries, but hosting can be very cheap. I'm paying $25 for everything per year. 3Gig of storage and bandwith, I believe.