Colour Issue With Objects

Started by WAS, November 12, 2015, 06:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm not sure what is causing this, there is no opacity enabled, yet I have weird dark bands on the top of the mushrooms.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Oshyan

Check for the usual culprits in modeling issues - inverted or otherwise "weird" normals, overlapping geometry, quads (vs. triangles), etc.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on November 12, 2015, 07:02:57 PM
Check for the usual culprits in modeling issues - inverted or otherwise "weird" normals, overlapping geometry, quads (vs. triangles), etc.

- Oshyan

How would one go about debugging a Sculptris model which is a limited program? Poseray?

TheBadger

Looks like reversed normals or n-gons to me.

In your modeler, find out how to check for n-gons (something with more than 4 sides) and check that all normals face out not inward.

If either is the case, this is completely normal. And both should have documentation with your soft. It is basic, so I can't imagine that your soft does not have a way to fix it.

In maya (for example, you would turn off double sided lighting in the preview, and if any face goes black, you would select it and click "reverse" in the relevant menu.

Fixing N-gons requires redoing the n-gon faces connected to the problem face

Something like that.
It has been eaten.

WAS

Quote from: TheBadger on November 12, 2015, 08:11:09 PM
Looks like reversed normals or n-gons to me.

In your modeler, find out how to check for n-gons (something with more than 4 sides) and check that all normals face out not inward.

If either is the case, this is completely normal. And both should have documentation with your soft. It is basic, so I can't imagine that your soft does not have a way to fix it.

In maya (for example, you would turn off double sided lighting in the preview, and if any face goes black, you would select it and click "reverse" in the relevant menu.

Fixing N-gons requires redoing the n-gon faces connected to the problem face

Something like that.

Thanks for the info. Turns out it was the displacement map or "bump" map in Sculptris. Seems TG just doesn't handle them correctly. I'm going to try it as a Image Shader as a mesh displacer.

TheBadger

Oh I forgot. In TG, Ngons dont render. So if you ever have chunks of a model not showing up at all, then that is probably what it is, it would not be black.

For the future, another thing that cause a texture to render black is the color map setting being at zero. At least when importing from maya, I have to remember to go into the objects internal nodes and make all the maps 100%. I often forget and get a first render that has all my maya made object totally black.

I know you wrote that you found your problem. I am just saying this because it will happen again at some point but be for some some other reason. There is always something to slow you down in 3D work.
It has been eaten.