Another neat Mars reference pict

Started by Clay, November 30, 2015, 02:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay

Dune

That is pretty great indeed, seems like an artist is walking around there. Anyone going for the challenge?

AP

I have been trying to make the flaky stones, very hard and the other difficulty is the inverted flow lines.

WAS

Quote from: Chris on December 02, 2015, 04:30:36 AM
I have been trying to make the flaky stones, very hard and the other difficulty is the inverted flow lines.

Biggest issue with stones in general is you can often achieve what you want, but unfortunately inverted displacement and blown up rocks is the problem to remedy. I had a nice flaky lateral displaced rock setup, but there were just too many inverted displacement areas and blown up rocks.

AP

The inverted flows may not be to big of an issue. I am closer to those flaky stones now.

AP

Getting to a point where it can be passable.

WAS

Quote from: Chris on December 02, 2015, 11:45:44 PM
Getting to a point where it can be passable.

This is looking promising. Maybe use voronoi diff scalar clamped for a more angular displacement like in the ref picture.

AP

I already have it quite clamped down well. However, still working on more ideas. I need to see if i am using a Voronoi diff scalar though, i thought i was.

Dune

You could use a very small strata shader and some vector displacement on flat stones...

AP

I have just that in another file. I have at least three tests going with this at the moment.    :)

AP

Two tests. Presets to be shared soon.

AP

I posted the files in File Sharing. They could be improved as always.