soft maximum/minimum

Started by Dune, December 04, 2015, 03:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 10, 2015, 03:10:34 AM
No hard edges in this extremely basic setup, so I don't understand what you're after either.

If you switch to voronoi based, or a function, I want to remove creases

AP

If i understand you correctly you want to soften the edges and tops of a Voronoi noise function? I did this some time ago.

WAS

Quote from: Chris on December 10, 2015, 06:11:06 AM
If i understand you correctly you want to soften the edges and tops of a Voronoi noise function? I did this some time ago.

Yeah basically like that, but with more complex shapes. For example, just a basic voronoi diff scaller, or any other vector based shapes with PF noise. From my understanding, a Power Fractal Shader, while it can use a  voronoi setup, it's again, just the base altitutde/shape, while the PF noise creates the actual detail, which is not vector based. The only way to achieve that is as I been saying, a new function, or stepping the scale and dimming said step color and merging with original. Hundreds of times. Until you have a manual blur. But So far I can only achieve a radial setup

Same setup, in another program. Also limited to radial blur.

Oshyan

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 10, 2015, 03:48:16 PM
From my understanding, a Power Fractal Shader, while it can use a  voronoi setup, it's again, just the base altitutde/shape, while the PF noise creates the actual detail, which is not vector based.

Whatnow?

- Oshyan

Kadri

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 10, 2015, 05:03:40 AM
If you switch to voronoi based, or a function, I want to remove creases

I think i see what you want. I tried some setups but no success.
I used to try harder in the past but now i would just use a blurred voronoi texture probably if i needed it.

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on December 10, 2015, 03:53:20 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on December 10, 2015, 03:48:16 PM
From my understanding, a Power Fractal Shader, while it can use a  voronoi setup, it's again, just the base altitutde/shape, while the PF noise creates the actual detail, which is not vector based.

Whatnow?

- Oshyan

Switch to Voronoi, anything (billows, ridges). Remove all detail. Observe form. Add detail. Observe Power Fractal Noise make up detail on it's surface, following the voronoi settings. If the noise was vector based then that means we already have a blur function cause that's some soft noise that isn't vector.

Or, remove all displacement and observe the Perlin noise.

Here is a Diff Scalar being blurred. Radial of course but yeah. Needs a lot closer steps too, and more iterations. And need to figure out how to position each step correctly. I probably shouldn't merge with original via merge shader so it doesn't show through.

Now if I scale up, and scale back, while trying to maintain position, and then translate away from the radial center (where things are pinches) we can see there is a very noticeable blur on one plain. Now just to get it on all plains.

Even further iterations.

Creases are still present, as it's really hard to position correctly, and also scale the iterations thousands of times right next to another crease. That would need to be done by a script, which I am planning on writing in PHP.

Volker Harun

My very first thought to achieve this is to use two soft step scalars.