Canyon Wall Displacement (Collaborative Challenge)

Started by WAS, November 28, 2015, 04:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: Chris on December 04, 2015, 02:37:21 AM
Sort of related but i am weighing in all options to be explored. It still needs work in the spiky small scale displacements.

This is actually pretty nice. Is there a way to taper the fine displacement only to the canyon floors?

AP

WAS

Quote from: Chris on December 04, 2015, 03:54:50 AM
The strata rock lines along the steep slopes?

I believe so, the layer ontop of of the highest peaks. I feel like they would be pretty smooth and windswept.

AP

They would be. I think the erosion is causing this but reducing that is easy to do.

WAS

Here is what I've finally gotten back on my study. Combining the lateral/vertical noise based on the altitude in texture, and my voronoi cracks setup, and a few PFs for variations.

File is a bit of a mess and I'm hoping to reduce functions down a bit, or figure out why it hung so long during rendering.

No where near perfect, and as you can tell from the left-hand side, you can't get too close without the surface noise getting soft.

AP

Not bad. Please continue to work on this. Who knows what other neat thing will happen along the way.

I think i have a sheer rock cliff face ready to go soon. I have to render the result to see what it looks like more clearly.

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 10, 2015, 11:17:09 AM
Really close now...keep on keepin on...

I've come to find out this scene if very heavily dependent on my base PF setup. Basically it's just a SSS canyon with inverted displacement, then a Power Fractal along normal to achieve terrain variance, and another copy of that PF on lateral, both masked by the SSS (to give us a canyon floor)

Without the nice settings I have for this, the lateral detail layers can look very silly on other rock forms.