Just a test

Started by TheBadger, December 07, 2015, 05:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

As recompense they have an Autumn Leaves package beneath the Olive trees which converts nicely in PoseRay but you have to have an .obj loading /editing app to separate the I think 20 leaves.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

No mtl's on the trees, that's too bad. Poseray won't help?

masonspappy

Just getting around to seeing this. Really nice modeling job!

j meyer

Quote from: Dune on December 12, 2015, 03:14:16 AM

There are mtl files,but like so many max users out there the guy just wasn't able to
save a decent obj and so there are no materials/groups showing up in poseray.
And thus they have to be fixed manually in a modeler,which can be pretty tedious.
Especially leaves and fruits.
These models need displacement to look best.And they have unconnected leaves
floating in the air.
From my point of view it costs too much work and time.

Dune

Thanks for diving in, Jochen. Seems like a nono then.

bobbystahr

Just discovered that if you Save As .3ds in Deep Exploration, or I imagine most modelers it breaks the models up into sub01 etc. parts which can then be re assigned new names in PoseRay. Just did a very large one and it works a treat. Will post a render when one is done....thanks to Jochen for the inspiration to try. Gonna spend Saturday converting Olive Trees to the TG3 religion ...later.....
As these models are quite huge, would sharing .mtl files alone be a way to get the TG friendly ones out there for the mac users who don't have PoseRay access?

I added a .mtl for Olive Tree 2 if anyone wants to try. If this works I'll upload em as I convert em.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on December 12, 2015, 11:11:33 AM
Quote from: Dune on December 12, 2015, 03:14:16 AM

There are mtl files,but like so many max users out there the guy just wasn't able to
save a decent obj and so there are no materials/groups showing up in poseray.
And thus they have to be fixed manually in a modeler,which can be pretty tedious.
Especially leaves and fruits.
These models need displacement to look best.And they have unconnected leaves
floating in the air.
From my point of view it costs too much work and time.

I think he just wanted to make it hard on non max ers myself....I managed it in the trial version with no problems way back before it ran out.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

I will try to see if I can be of any use on this too.
I don't mind spending time on tedious repetitive model fixing. Haven't gotten to look at them yet though.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Well 50% of the with my non max method resolve with some of the fruit and most of the trunk as the same part and I personally can't separate them. fortunately if you are using as solo trees you can rotate the bad olive side away from the camera...a lot of tweaking may be required in a pop though but in edit mode also doable.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

May as well remove all the fruit don't you think? Not really necessary or useful to have for a pop, and not a good enough tree for a hero.
should simplify a bit
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on December 13, 2015, 04:15:07 PM
May as well remove all the fruit don't you think? Not really necessary or useful to have for a pop, and not a good enough tree for a hero.
should simplify a bit
well where it's a problem is it's attached to the main part of the trunk...consistently in the larger diameter trunk trees. The lovely black olives add something to the good trees.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

I see, I just looked at the first one tonight thanks to J. This is worth pursuing from what I just saw!  8)
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on December 14, 2015, 02:43:55 AM
I see, I just looked at the first one tonight thanks to J. This is worth pursuing from what I just saw!  8)

Here's a test I did of #'s 3 and 5
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Further to this thread;  reloaded Olive Tree 4 in PoseRay and subdivided it at the defaults. Gets rid of the hard edges and I remapped it basic Cubic as they're all Planar mapped which sucks for bark. Left the leaves and fruit alone as they are in fact planes. Got a test cooking and will post it when done
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New