Shelter from a Foreign and Indifferent Sky

Started by Inscrutable, August 22, 2007, 04:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inscrutable

Another image of mine that sort of developed of its own accord.  Originally it was an experiment to make the nebula visible from the planet (I'd had troble in the past where the atmosphere made the nebula break up and look very grainy).  As a result, the landscape is very basic (just a power fractal and a twist & shear with lean factor 2) and some fake stones to add a bit of interest.  The light in the overhang was initially just temporary and to see what the texture of the rock looked like, but I actually liked the effect a lot so I left it in.

As always, very grateful for your comments.

Note: the banding in the sky is due to the jpeg conversion I think.

Inscrutable

FrankB

Nice idea.

One comment though: I believe you have simply lowered the sun power to get the night effect, but the downside is that the far away planet is not correctly lit, right?

Cheers,
Frank

rcallicotte

FrankB has a good observation.  This is very cool, nevertheless.  Great perspective, sort of realistic, and enough variety to be interesting.  Nice experimentation.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Inscrutable

Actually, I haven't changed the sun strength at all.  I've just dipped it below the horizon and have lowered the atmospheric blue-sky density, while also changing the bluesky horizon colour to a dark grey. I would have preferred a bit more contrast within the planet itself (i.e. I'd like one of the sides to be in more shadow) but I wanted the planet itself to blend in with the sky in terms of colour and be quite subtle.  I really didn't want it to steal attention from the cave.

Inscrutable

sjefen

Great idea. Would be nice if the light source had a more orange colour.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB