Leaning Clouds?

Started by WAS, December 11, 2015, 10:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I was wondering if someone knows a simple method for leaning clouds? Maybe to give the appearance of directional motion?

Also when using altitude offset, is it normal for render times to jump 10 fold or is that more a bad function setup? I am using Dune's approach via Y to Scallar, Add Scallar, and Divide Scallar and a Depth Modulator for final depth.

Dune

Did I use that approach? For altitude offset you can also just use another cloud fractal, its whites pushes the bottom up, AFAIK. But renders do take longer with altitude offset, is my experience, but not 10x.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 12, 2015, 03:08:42 AM
Did I use that approach? For altitude offset you can also just use another cloud fractal, its whites pushes the bottom up, AFAIK. But renders do take longer with altitude offset, is my experience, but not 10x.

That would probably give a much nicer altitude push wouldn't it. But not for following terrain as easily. But what about leaning to the sides, like clouds rolling over a desert, etc.

Also not sure about exact render times, but even the preview window can take up to 5 minutes depending on settings just to get to 10 percent detail.  :-X On small scales it is quick, but a mountain, it will take forever.

Dune

I don't exactly get what you mean by leaning to the sides, any examples?

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 12, 2015, 10:59:54 AM
I don't exactly get what you mean by leaning to the sides, any examples?

Well, like the results of Twist and Shear Shader, a lean. Like clouds in motion in real life, or smoke.

Where the bulk is shifted to one side because of motion.

AP

A quick solution for cloud rotation.

WAS

Quote from: Chris on December 12, 2015, 07:15:35 PM
A quick solution for cloud rotation.

Would the rotation interfere with altitude offset I'm wondering?

AP

No idea. I never have tried this before.