random black spots in renderings

Started by drongo, December 25, 2015, 04:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drongo

Hi, I have a complex project with a village and a forest. Now I am running into problems with renderings. I get black spots/areas and even black renderings. But they appear randomly. When I render an animation (moving the sun, from morning to evening), some images seem to be affected, some not. When I change nothing and render again, the problems appear in different images at different spots. I tried different settings for quality/AA, tried to deactivate clouds, terrains, water and some objects I just added. No change. Maybe: with smaller image size, the spots appear to be bigger.
Here I have some test renderings:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cs7huqo8ii4a6tm/AAC6Wrng6VgDkpHGy58bt9l_a?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0w2et9bnl8eyop/AAA82u5lB4C7Oq3bNWpimmMla?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nr31cevuayw1a1g/AAAji6XV5F4RUeSeQebi-Ecla?dl=0

Dune

It may have to do with objects having no normals or no internals at all. I've encountered something similar recently.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 26, 2015, 02:39:43 AM
It may have to do with objects having no normals or no internals at all. I've encountered something similar recently.

Recently I had a shark model, where it's teeth become 10x the size in black/white blocks/circles. May be the premultiply colour.

drongo

I allready deleted all of the stuff I added since the errors occoured. I would try an older version of Terragen, but the file will not be compatible, I guess. I think the errors also came with the newest version. And no I don't use premultiplied colour. Or at least I don't think so because I don't know what that is.

Oshyan

It's hard to say for sure what's happening here without looking at the TGD file, so if you can share that to support AT planetside.co.uk that would be very helpful. In the past I've seen this for a variety of reasons, from use of extreme values such as negative values in cloud or texture settings, or using input shaders to a multiply function that cause high or negative values in downstream shaders, to issues with imported textures and opacity or Unpremultiply settings (this setting is in the Image Map Shader under Colour), to problems with certain AA modes and not using AA bloom (negative lobes) and the renderer producing extreme values that the filter can't deal with. So, like I said, best to provide a TGD if at all possible, and ideally all the objects too so we can reproduce the problem (you can use File->Export Gathered Project), although just the TGD alone would be helpful in itself.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: drongo on December 26, 2015, 05:45:29 PM
I allready deleted all of the stuff I added since the errors occoured. I would try an older version of Terragen, but the file will not be compatible, I guess. I think the errors also came with the newest version. And no I don't use premultiplied colour. Or at least I don't think so because I don't know what that is.

Unpremultiply Colour will be checked by default on objects and such I believe. If you are using a reflective layer with a index of refraction under 1.0 you can also get black blocks in refraction zones