Terragen freezes at file open/save prompt

Started by dpcole72, January 03, 2016, 09:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpcole72

On a newly recently computer with Windows 8.1 64-bit, Terragen 3.3.04.0 will freeze (task manager "not responding" for 30+ minutes) if I go to a file open or file save prompt.  All HDDs have enough space, ensured all network drives were connected (disconnected drives can cause long delays), am unsure why this is happening. 

Am I the only one having this problem?

Thanks!

Update - I thought the problem was fixed after removing a GUI skinning app.  Didn't help despite some initial perception of success... :(

Oshyan

Strange. That's certainly not usual behavior and we haven't had a single other report of it that I'm aware of. It doesn't matter where you're trying to open a file from? What about use of the Recents menu? It sounds like TG is having difficulty interacting with your file system or Explorer instances, which could suggest some add-on like a shell extender (e.g. thumbnails for RAW image files), or some other Explorer-related modification or process. I presume you don't have this issue with any other software?

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

I've had a situation for a while since I accidentally down graded my computer where I can open a .tgd by double clicking in explorer,and it will open but hang till I click the screen anywhere and the spinning wheel comes up and soon the project. I think this is likely a computer deficiency on the part of the dell box though in my case. Can't open from Recent on file open at all...dunno why.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 03, 2016, 11:33:59 PM
I've had a situation for a while since I accidentally down graded my computer where I can open a .tgd by double clicking in explorer,and it will open but hang till I click the screen anywhere and the spinning wheel comes up and soon the project. I think this is likely a computer deficiency on the part of the dell box though in my case. Can't open from Recent on file open at all...dunno why.

Have you done this while something else was recently open? I have encountered similar after Terragen has crashed, and the RAM has not been released. Or I just closed a program like After Effects or Cinema 4D that had previously locked up a good portion of RAM as well.

Even with Terragen, if it crashes, and I reopen and begin working, as soon as the RAM gets to the point it had initially been at before the crash, it will crash again.

I made a shortcut pointing to "%windir%\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks" (Windows 7 64-bit only!) and this solved the problem, leading me to believe Terragen isn't handling RAM that well. Previously to finding this RAM flush tool, I had to restart, which also fixed the problem.

bobbystahr

hmmm, I'll look into that RAM flush tool, I run Win7Pro64bit
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

RAM flush tool, could you elaborate a bit? I've seen some software doing this, downed but never installed. This seems small and indiginous. You can run it while apps are running?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 05, 2016, 03:18:22 AM
RAM flush tool, could you elaborate a bit? I've seen some software doing this, downed but never installed. This seems small and indiginous. You can run it while apps are running?

Go here and scroll down
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/clear-windows-7-cache/
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Yeah it's a built in procedure. It kills idle tasks which have been schedules for closure, but aren't, or are stuck. It also wipes the free RAM just in case. Shouldn't affect programs in use.

dpcole72

Quote from: Oshyan on January 03, 2016, 10:10:48 PM
Strange. That's certainly not usual behavior and we haven't had a single other report of it that I'm aware of. It doesn't matter where you're trying to open a file from? What about use of the Recents menu? It sounds like TG is having difficulty interacting with your file system or Explorer instances, which could suggest some add-on like a shell extender (e.g. thumbnails for RAW image files), or some other Explorer-related modification or process. I presume you don't have this issue with any other software?

- Oshyan

Thanks for responding!   

I've only had weird file open/save issues with Terragen ("TG3").

I did try to repeat the problem on another PC:  On my other PC, which I installed TG3 on, which also has the GUI-skinning apps installed, I've had no problems.  Whatever is going on is specific to one PC.

Only when I load a file from file->open do I run into problems.  File->Save can be problematic too.  If I double click on a tgd icon it loads perfectly.  When saving, going to the file->save prompt causes a lock up.  Ctrl-S to save usually works...

I'm going to reformat the problem PC and all should be well after that.  Wanted to get back to this thread and say thanks for responding and stuff. :)

Oshyan

It certainly sounds like a strange problem. I would check the Windows system logs to see if there are any indications of data access or permissions issues. Also check for any shell extensions like right-click menu expanders, or additional file preview/thumbnail handlers, etc. (though of course reformatting will get rid of any of that anyway).

I hope the reformat helps. Let us know if not.

- Oshyan

kvasibarn

I have the same problem in the latest version of Terragen 4. (4.1.21)

1. I have to relaunch Terragen from the recent shortcuts (rightclick on taskbar icon of frozen Terragen) to open a file.
2. Saving works but freezes the program. So I have to redo step 1 to continue working on the file.

Unfortunatly I can't save clip files as the save dialog does not open before the program freezes. :/
fiat lux.

WAS

I wonder if this is related to a similar issue where when I open files Terragen freezes for a good moment before opening the file. Similarily, Terragen freezes the first time I insert a clip file or object for a good moment. After that though if I insert another clip file it's basically immediate. Terragen isn't crashing though, it's just slow and loading files, and for the first clip file or object load.

This seems to be new behavior. I don't remember this, even on my ancient machines on the past with TG2 and decade+ old CPUs.