Cadnav Plant Objects

Started by WAS, January 05, 2016, 03:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I haven't seen this place mentioned here too often. For those in search of decent models, have a look at Cadnav's Model library

http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/plant/

They are in MAX format, so you need to do some converting, but worth it.

Dune

Some look nice, but you need Max  :(

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 05, 2016, 03:20:41 AM
Some look nice, but you need Max  :(

That you do! I just realized this too. Packing them all on a thumb drive to bring to my friends tomorrow under the guise of visit... Nah but we'll visit.

AP

There seems to be quite a large number of 3d objects there. All sorts of subjects.

WAS

Quote from: Chris on January 05, 2016, 04:31:11 AM
There seems to be quite a large number of 3d objects there. All sorts of subjects.

Most seem to indicate free commercial use as long as not reselling the individual objects. Nice of them?

AP

That sounds reasonable to me. I had seen no indications that you can not convert them into other formats.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on January 05, 2016, 03:17:20 AM
I haven't seen this place mentioned here too often. For those in search of decent models, have a look at Cadnav's Model library

http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/plant/

They are in MAX format, so you need to do some converting, but worth it.

not many of us can afford max so I didn't post this when I found it as it ticked me off they're only in max
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AP

I understand why it is like that but at least the objects should have a .obj format option for other users of other professional studio-based software.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on January 05, 2016, 05:54:52 PM

Most seem to indicate free commercial use as long as not reselling the individual objects. Nice of them?

You up for the conversion?...heh heh heh, cuz as I said I can't and never will be able to afford max.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 06, 2016, 11:12:18 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on January 05, 2016, 05:54:52 PM

You up for the conversion?...heh heh heh, cuz as I said I can't and never will be able to afford max.

My friend and school as max. Though I did not notice they use VRay.

pokoy

Now that Autodesk introduced a rental model you can rent Max for 200€/month (that's the pricing for Germany).
Vray is certainly available as a limited demo which is enough to access the model's materials and convert them to something that can be exported as FBX or OBJ.

bobbystahr

Quote from: pokoy on January 07, 2016, 05:35:27 AM
Now that Autodesk introduced a rental model you can rent Max for 200€/month (that's the pricing for Germany).
Vray is certainly available as a limited demo which is enough to access the model's materials and convert them to something that can be exported as FBX or OBJ.

Yup I realize this but my max demo ran out and you only get one I believe...I converted as many veggies as I could while I had it but doubt I'd qualify for another demo. And who are they aiming at with that 200 a month thing...It would take me the better part of a month to figure the program out if past experience with it is any gauge...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

pokoy

Yes, the demo will work only once on the same machine. 200€ isn't too affordable, I agree, but might be a good investment if there's any commercial gain. If it's purely for personal use then it's not cheap for 1 month.

As for material conversion, once you get around that it's pretty straightforward. There may even be some scripts out there that will do that for you with a single click... yep, there is one (can't say how good it is, I only googled it):
http://www.motivacg.com/en/material-converter/

WAS

I do have to say, their Conifers are beautiful. Very realistic for immature specimens. I notice with XFrog, they go for the huge over-grown oldgrowth look where it's bushed out and not very symmetrical anymore after it's gotten to big, even for their "small" versions.