PS cs6 Bug of death

Started by TheBadger, January 08, 2016, 10:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

So I can save nothing out of photoshop cs6. "could not save because of a program error" The only way I can save is  save for web option. Cannot save a file psd and cannot save an image in any format (other than for web)

"could not save because of a program error" if you google it you will find a bunch of threads about it. The reason I am posting here is because absolutely none of the "fixes" in any of those threads that I found work for shit.

I am on OS X and the problem is new to my resent os upgrade. But from reading some of those threads I saw some people who use win were screwed too.

Have any of you here using OS X had this problem, and do you have a fix that works?

I use PS for everything. Really some part of everything I do with software gets to PS at some point. SO I really need some help here if you have some to give.

PS CS6, OSX 10.11.2

Thanks
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Is there a chance that your image file is too big or something along that line ?

Or maybe a reset could help?
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776

Kadri

In this thread are some different suggestions.Not sure if you have seen them :
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/950158?tstart=0

WAS

Have you tried to export instead of save for web? Where is Photoshop Scratch set to? Is it setup? How big is it in relation to the document size (lower left status bar). Photoshop also uses GPU acceleration, which may be interfering with background applications (terragen, other programs that use GPU) also trying to access the GPU RAM, where if enabled, some caching is happening and could be causing a problem.

I don't know how much RAM you have, but one thing I found useful for school (because the CPUs were rather slow) was to use the RAM as a RAMDisk for scratch. It worked well for saving files very, as well as making edits to the projects almost real-time (minus filters)

Also, is Terragen open during this problem? Sometimes when Terragen is open taking up a good portion of my RAM (this machine only has 3.5 usable GB, well under recommended for both applications), Photoshop will simply not respond, nothing in the UI is clickable. Or when I try using tools, they won't do anything. Closing Terragen solves this, or possibly restarting Photoshop but in most cases I'd get one of the two problems again if I didn't close Terragen.

TheBadger

I was able to save a tiff today. I had to close all of my PS windows and lose all the work I had done. But after restarting my computer (which I had to force to shut down) I was able to open ps and save a file.

Really not sure what the deal is. Think something fishy is going on. Paranoia sure to follow.
It has been eaten.

archonforest

We had this problem before in the office and apparently it was caused some missing fonts or corrupt fonts. Unfortunately I do not have details but this is what I heard here.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

TheBadger

I guess adobe says its an OS X problem.

Kinda seems to be memory related. But I have 32GB and the file was only around 40mb or so. Maya was open and that may be the issue but I was still way under my ceiling. I have had memory issues from time to time in the past. But this was unusual. There was nothing particularly special or big about anything I was doing that I noticed.

if it was a memory thing, it may have been to many high mb textures open in maya, there was about a million and half polygons in the scene. But nothing was in smooth preview mode.

could be the graphics card. Have had plenty of problems with not enough mem there.

Working forward is going to be nerd racking. Who knows when this will pop up.

Thanks for the links kadri.
It has been eaten.

WAS

Quote from: TheBadger on January 10, 2016, 01:17:44 PM
I guess adobe says its an OS X problem.

Kinda seems to be memory related. But I have 32GB and the file was only around 40mb or so. Maya was open and that may be the issue but I was still way under my ceiling. I have had memory issues from time to time in the past. But this was unusual. There was nothing particularly special or big about anything I was doing that I noticed.

if it was a memory thing, it may have been to many high mb textures open in maya, there was about a million and half polygons in the scene. But nothing was in smooth preview mode.

could be the graphics card. Have had plenty of problems with not enough mem there.

Working forward is going to be nerd racking. Who knows when this will pop up.

Thanks for the links kadri.

Did you buy your 32gb paired? If its not paired they shouldn't be coupled and can cause memory faults and generally lower life expectancy.

Kadri

Having open the same file in different programs at the same time is problematic sometimes.
Your problem seems different although because you couldn't safe in different file formats too.
Strange but from those many posts on the net it looks like it might be really a problem outside your own doing.

Dune

It may not be just having
Quoteall of my PS windows
open, but also all the changes that you made to them will be stored, taking memory. Though 32 gig is quite something. I tend to refrain from opening too many apps and files anyway.

inkydigit

Have you tried affinity? https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/
Getting better all he time.... Cheaper than C$ xxx :)
I only have cs3 running on el cap.... But use it only when I need a specific filter(s) that affinity does not have yet...
:)

Kadri

Quote from: inkydigit on January 11, 2016, 07:04:44 AM

Wish there was a Windows version.

TheBadger

Quote from: inkydigit on January 11, 2016, 07:04:44 AM
I only have cs3 running on el cap.... But use it only when I need a specific filter(s) that affinity does not have yet...

I think I saw that before, will think on it more closely for sure. Some of those tools looked rather powerful! Thanks.

Yeah its a bug, adobe says and they blame apple. But the memory stuff may be also hurting the situation. Its a new problem for me, never had it before el Capitan.
It has been eaten.

inkydigit

Have you updated your nvidia driver?
I had to do mine today; substance designer was crashing which was what caused me to check my gc driver  .... Turns out that SD had some bug fixes that fixed the instacrash also.

WAS

Again, did you buy all the memory paired? You can't just have 16gb of RAM and decide to upgrade to 32gb by buying the difference. Even from the same manufacturer. They often use different chips from quarter to quarter in a season of production. Not to mention timings and infrastructure sets can vary slightly, or a lot. Which is why you only see ram kits from retailers, because that kit should replace your existing RAM.