Blue Ray question

Started by archonforest, January 10, 2016, 06:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

I thought I will be the last person who will buy a Blue-ray but....things are changing and since the closest dvd store selling almost only blue rays now I had to convert.
So I got a nice Sony player and a second hand flat Panasonic full hd TV. So I watched a blue ray and I noticed some weird stuff. When the camera moves faster the scrolling of the picture is not smooth. Or sometimes the contour of the actor gets jagged? not sure if this is the right word.

Now the question is this. Is this a TV problem? Like it cannot display the amount of data it receives?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

AP

It sounds like a refresh rate issue. What is the Hz of the TV?

archonforest

Huhh, I do not know right now but guess u are right. But why we have TVs on the market that cannot display correctly a blue ray?
It is a full hd tv so I would expect that i can watch a blue ray on it without problems. What is the correct amount that Hz that is needed?

TheBadger

I have a panasonic plasma "Smart" I bought new in 2010. It is dumb as shit and sucks in general. Ill never buy panasonic again but for other reasons than you have brought up.

If your TV has "vera cast button" on the remote, then it is probably similar to mine even if LCD and not plasma. If it is a so called smart tv, go to the tv menu and manually go through all of the settings. There are some that are not ideal at default. I got a better image from doing that bit. not in front of the tv right now so can't say which ones made a difference.

As to it not being perfect, I have a matching blue ray that I bought at the same time. I don't get a perfect picture either. For example, you know those banding effects we used to get in TG on a bare blue sky? I get those on black skies  (night scenes) on my TV, blue ray or cable... Really irritating. Very noticeable.
It has been eaten.

archonforest

Quote from: TheBadger on January 10, 2016, 01:09:01 PM
I have a panasonic plasma "Smart" I bought new in 2010. It is dumb as shit and sucks in general. Ill never buy panasonic again but for other reasons than you have brought up.

If your TV has "vera cast button" on the remote, then it is probably similar to mine even if LCD and not plasma. If it is a so called smart tv, go to the tv menu and manually go through all of the settings. There are some that are not ideal at default. I got a better image from doing that bit. not in front of the tv right now so can't say which ones made a difference.

As to it not being perfect, I have a matching blue ray that I bought at the same time. I don't get a perfect picture either. For example, you know those banding effects we used to get in TG on a bare blue sky? I get those on black skies  (night scenes) on my TV, blue ray or cable... Really irritating. Very noticeable.
Thx. I will see what else I can tweak. Otherwise Panasonic is not that bad. Every company makes cheapo stuff even Sony. I have experience with Panasonic TH-50PF30 and TH-50PF20U and they are pretty good. Price too :D

TheBadger

Yeah, pretty good price at the time. But they did some shady stuff with their app store that pissed me off. but then came roku and fixed the universe. But I hold grudges a long time ;) ;D
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Panasonic was actually the market leader in Plasma displays until that market kind of died. It's a shame because Plasmas had some notable advantages over LCD, but LCD was cheaper and easier to manufacture. Oh well.

Anyway, I would look for any options in the display to increase the frame rate and *turn them off* (note this is not the same as the "refresh rate", but that should not be an issue on your display, I would think). A blu-ray will be 24fps in most cases, 30 at most, but there has been a terrible trend in displays for some time to smooth out the "jerky" low FPS of cinema to be like 60fps or even higher. The problem with this is that it makes things look *too* smooth, like home video or something, and it takes processing power to do it, which means that especially for fast-moving scenes, it sometimes doesn't work that well. It might be called something like "true motion" or "smooth video" or some other bullshit. Turn it off, in fact start by turning off any "enhancements" the TV has, then turn them on one by one and make sure you like the results of each before leaving them on.

Of course it could just be bad blu-ray encoding. ;) Have you tried multiple discs?

- Oshyan

archonforest

Quote from: Oshyan on January 10, 2016, 02:48:20 PM
Panasonic was actually the market leader in Plasma displays until that market kind of died. It's a shame because Plasmas had some notable advantages over LCD, but LCD was cheaper and easier to manufacture. Oh well.

Anyway, I would look for any options in the display to increase the frame rate and *turn them off* (note this is not the same as the "refresh rate", but that should not be an issue on your display, I would think). A blu-ray will be 24fps in most cases, 30 at most, but there has been a terrible trend in displays for some time to smooth out the "jerky" low FPS of cinema to be like 60fps or even higher. The problem with this is that it makes things look *too* smooth, like home video or something, and it takes processing power to do it, which means that especially for fast-moving scenes, it sometimes doesn't work that well. It might be called something like "true motion" or "smooth video" or some other bullshit. Turn it off, in fact start by turning off any "enhancements" the TV has, then turn them on one by one and make sure you like the results of each before leaving them on.

Of course it could just be bad blu-ray encoding. ;) Have you tried multiple discs?

- Oshyan
OKay I will dig into the menu of the TV. Hope find something usefull. I noticed this problem on different movies already. I think "Maggie" was okay but in that movie nobody moves fast ;D

Oshyan

What's the specific model of TV? We could look up its specs and see if there are any red flags there...

- Oshyan

WAS

Definitely sounds like smart tv filters. I always have them all OFF and get the "best picture" as apposed to them supposedly helping. Sounds like the jaggedness is the smart noise reduction not catching fast movement.

It is a shame about plasma tvs. Even more a shame they're not a trending gimmick because of their death and are up to 5x more expensive. VT60 MSRP was like 2,000, when I looked at it in 2013, now it's 5,999. Lol

archonforest

Quote from: Oshyan on January 10, 2016, 02:58:41 PM
What's the specific model of TV? We could look up its specs and see if there are any red flags there...

- Oshyan
I have no details with me right now. Only thing I remember it is a Panasonic Viera 37" lcd tv but guess it is not enough data. When I get back home I will get the full name. Thx.

Kadri

Don't forget that the Bluray player is another factor too. Not necessarily but some or even all problems might come from it too.
The best thing is instead of guessing, find the model numbers of the two, search for the manuals and find some reviews for fine tuning them.
Use a supposed good manufactured Bluray movie for this. Not something encoded from the net.

First make a color,contrast,sharpening fine tuning and then make some test.

There is a subjective part too for this like the fast moving parts of the camera. Some like the smoother motion some don't etc.

We have a Plasma Panasonic and we love it.
After a while the bad jpg kinda compressed parts around object become visible even for non guru movie watchers.
It depends on your TV and Bluray player features. You have to make some compromises maybe. 

archonforest

Quote from: Oshyan on January 10, 2016, 02:58:41 PM

- Oshyan

So it is a Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G10E.

Oshyan

I would look at the "24p Smooth Film" function/setting. If it's on, turn it off; if it's off, turn it on, then test. Also disable P-NR (Picture Noise Reduction), or if it's off I guess you could try it on (though I'd guess you'd want it off). Same with 3D-COMB. Also Intelligent Frame Creation. The first and last of these are in the Setup->Other Settings area, the other two are in Picture. Manual: https://dlc.panasonic-europe-service.com/EUDocs/GetDoc.aspx?did=165864&fmt=PDF&lang=en&src=3&uilang=en-GB&model=TXL32G10E

- Oshyan

archonforest

Quote from: Oshyan on January 11, 2016, 05:05:25 PM
I would look at the "24p Smooth Film" function/setting. If it's on, turn it off; if it's off, turn it on, then test. Also disable P-NR (Picture Noise Reduction), or if it's off I guess you could try it on (though I'd guess you'd want it off). Same with 3D-COMB. Also Intelligent Frame Creation. The first and last of these are in the Setup->Other Settings area, the other two are in Picture. Manual: https://dlc.panasonic-europe-service.com/EUDocs/GetDoc.aspx?did=165864&fmt=PDF&lang=en&src=3&uilang=en-GB&model=TXL32G10E

- Oshyan
Wow thx a bunch Oshyan! :)