personal jungle to hide

Started by DocCharly65, February 03, 2016, 07:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

It has been a while since i heard of ivy-generator. All of these years and still have yet to use it. Don't think i have a use for any Pyramids.

TheBadger

great shot in the last! I find getting that kind of control with my camera in TG a little difficult. I pretty much only think about it with my main 3D app in mind. T4 looks much much better in this respect, based on the posts by Oshyan.
It has been eaten.

DocCharly65

Sorry for always the same scene but I am quite busy with my new flat... building a new kitchen at the moment.

All my PCs rendering the Jungle animations and 4 Pixelplow jobs are running too. One PC is rerendering my "Viper in the Desert" for the VR-Challenge.

But some new things are happening:

The pyramid is integrated into the animated scene:

[attach=1]   [attach=2]

This one will be a hard job -- I stopped it for the moment but I will work on it after I moved to my new flat:

[attach=3]  [attach=4]

Unfortunately A view through glass causes many artefacts in the terrain. So I will need a second render with the area through the glass with motion blur. I tested it and it looks better. Then I will combine both animations with an alpha mask.

This will be a hard and long lasting render... I guess in May I could finish the scene.
My first plan was to keep this as a secret and surprise for the finished animation but perhaps someone knows a solution with that strange terrain-artefacts. Objects don't cause any artefacts as you can see. It would be cool if I wouldn'd need the two renders.

The "inside shuttle view" is the inside view of the VW Touran... I just couldn'd resist  ;)
The speedometer will be animated too, of course. At least a bit  8) ;)

Hannes

Looks cool, Nils!
Have you tried to increase the "Ray detail multiplier" in the internal Render network (Render subdivision settings) to 1? It's at 0.25 by default, so the terrain is rendered in one fourth of the quality when watched as reflection or in this case refraction as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The objects closer to the camera could use some DOF to create a little more depth.

DocCharly65

Hannes, thanks for that tipp.

I'll try ASAP. Perhaps you save my day  :)

DoF definitvely does not work with glass as I remember. Nevertheless I tried and got everything blurred out of all recognition behind the glass.

Anyway I love the leatherette-look so much that I decided not to use DoF  ;)

DocCharly65

You were right, Hannes.
I did a "fast-test"

Ray detail multiplier 0.25 (default setting):

[attachimg=1]

Ray detail multiplier 1:

[attachimg=2]

But ist costs more than double render time (logical consequence)
But in my animation this will be increased render costs of more than 100 dollars. So after moving I will do some tests to find a balance between less artefacts, a bit motion blur and the natural retouching by only viewing an image for 1/25 sec.

Similar considerations I did about the DoF. Anyway I need the seperate rendering run because the Touaregs Interior must not be motion-blurred. Perhaps I can increase render speed without rendering cars glass. But I cannot deactivate any plants or things like that because I need their reflection on the glasses...

Let's see what will happen. All this is still a non profit hobby project. I hope I will find a acceptable balance beween
affordable and good looking animation.

Hannes

Glad I could help, but 100 dollars are quite an argument. As far as I can see only the terrain is affected by the refraction's lower resolution? So you could cover the specific areas with some more plants to hide the facetted parts? Not the most elegant solution maybe...

DocCharly65

Yes Hannes, only the terrain.

I also thought about covering it with plants  ;D
Unfortunately I finished too many animation renders without additional plants already. And it's a really big area to cover!

[attach=1]

Hannes

bobbystahr

oh my suffering vertigo....heh heh...agree nice view.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

No one else has said it, so I will.

You are a crazy man, Doc. I have to say though this appears to be a respectable quality in this case.
It has been eaten.

DocCharly65

Quote from: TheBadger on March 17, 2016, 10:44:58 AM
You are a crazy man, Doc. I have to say though this appears to be a respectable quality in this case.

I am my friend, I am :D
Working for the marketing department of my boss it's my job and duty to be crazy  :o :P ::) :o

;)

Dune

Yes, too bad about the increased render time. How about taking out the glass alltogether? You won't have the subtle reflection, but will that be noticed? Or just put a small area of glass where the reflection should be, as small as possible (just the sunglasses area), with perhaps a sunglass image map projected on the glass.

DocCharly65

Nice Idea, Ulco, but there are some more points:

The path the "shuttle" is flying is quite long as you can see in the "skyfall"-image. There are quite different light situations and reflection situations. I want to keep them.

And anyway I really will have to use 3 renderjobs:
1. The "Shuttle's Interior" (must not be motion blurred)
2. The view through the window (must be motion blurred) I think the reflections will not be blurred because of the limitations of glass (DoF isn't renderd trough glass - so if it's the same with motion blur it's my advantage in this case)
3. A mask

I think I have optimized rendertime a bit:
1. The "Shuttle's Interior" will not need the windows glass - that will save much render time. But I'll keep the outside view (trees, terrain etc.) to get no visible borders when masking.
2. The view through the window will not need the little Enterprise and dice toy that saves almost half rendertime.
3. The mask will be a baby's renderjob...  ;D   everything is deactivated except of the shuttle and the toy. These are rendered as holdout for a good black mask. minimum rendertime!

The next two weeks I will most time busy with my new flat and I have started the old server to do the motion blurred render job. I will see how this works

Update 4:34 pm:
Guess it works! Rendertime of 1.5 h per frame on this old server is quite ok and I am satisfied with the outside look.

[attach=1]

Tachometer animation (sequence of images) is also deactivated because it's not mirrored in the window as well.

Little change in my plan: Hannes will get the DoF   ;)  , because the masked interior looks a bit smaller as the motion blurred interior so it will nit fit when I am masking. When it's blurred a bit Through DoF you will not see that mistake.