Flash Cookies

Started by TheBadger, February 05, 2016, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hi,

I discovered that flash stores cookies apart from any browser, when on the net.

So recently after a OS update and safari update I started to notice that cookies that were deleted in my usual method would often return, and that in general I was seeing more cookies stored on my system. This really bothered me so I looked on line to find info.

Really did not find a direct answer to my questions, but based on various things people wrote I was able to figure the I needed to look at my settings for flash.

Indeed there are settings in the flash preferences that are very important to internet privacy, in as much as you can have privacy... Probably should not even use that word any more...

If you are on OS X EL C. And have noticed that cookies won't delete through safari, and that (as in my case) even dedicated 3rd party apps fail to completely get them all, This may be of use to you.

Anyway, on mac OS X El Capitan go > system Pref > flash > click ASK ME before allowing new sites to save info...

Also, check your "local storage settings" just below and then delete everything

last go through all of the flash settings and make sure they are up to date since any upgrade you have done either to flash, or to OS. And do this periodically and especially after updates to browser, OS or flash

I have noticed a drastic reduction of cookies since doing this, and the ones that go to the browser now stay gone when I delete them.
This in combination with various browser plug-ins makes me feel a bit better, but not really...

Shady bastards.

Hope this will be useful to someone.

Also, while we are at it, why does this forum save google analytics cookies to my browser? Kinda starting to not just like google and
Zucker-scum, but kinda starting to hate them a bit.

Really hate having to take time to learn any of this crap. ;)
It has been eaten.

Dune

TheBadger

Ah good, than I am not the only one who does not know everything about computers and the net. I feel a tad bit better now.
It has been eaten.

inkydigit

Thanks indeed M,
Shady is polite!
Now wait for Mozilla on iOS to be less buggy...
Now to clean out some coookies
:)
J

TheBadger

You can get firefox for iOS now?  :o And it is integrated well? ???

By the way, I guess you are on mac, Inky. So if thats the case and you are up to date You may have noticed the bug in other ways. Hold alt key and click the go tab and go to library and cookies, and manually delete the HSTS.plist file each time you delete your cookies and clean out your browser. doing it from preferences does not work right now.

It has been eaten.

Dune

In the same line I just got rid of Avast antivirus; they tried to install a firefox addon for cheaper shopping, FFS. Read a lot of complaints about it. So it's Panda now.