Simulating UAV photogrammetry flights in Terragen

Started by aknight0, January 29, 2016, 02:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aknight0

I made extensive use of Terragen in my last paper, and thought I'd post the link here in case anyone was interested.

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/8/1/26

Matt

Interesting paper. Thanks for letting us know :) I only skimmed through it, so maybe this is already explained in the paper, but I have a question. For the fitness function, were you comparing against the original elevation data or did you re-export some geometry from Terragen with the added fractal detail? Do you think it would make much difference in the accuracy?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

aknight0

Hi Matt, thanks for reading.  When doing the comparisons, I exported the geometry from Terragen with the micro exporter, so it does include the added fractal detail.  I don't think it would make a huge difference in the result, as I only added a small amount of fractal detail.  My intent was to preserve the original geometry as much as possible while still introducing some unique features for the 3D photogrammetry algorithms to latch on to. 

I actually presented some of this work to a large majority of the big names in the UAV industry at an NSF meeting yesterday.  There was a lot of interest in our use of Terragen as a simulator for UAV mapping, so you may have some folks with questions headed your way.

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.