Lone tree

Started by Lucio, August 23, 2007, 07:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucio

Hi all,

here's the last project I'm working on

I employed many grassblade models and a tree created with Xfrog. To get total control over vegetation placement I used image-based distribution for all populations, creating distribution maps with PS using an orthogonal projection of the interested area

Rendering the image took many days (the original is 2000x1500 with AA set to 9) and the image is composed of 31 cropped parts. I also had some problem with GI on some portion and I worked hard on Photoshop to level the color differences.. but I've managed to get a final result

Thank you very much to Tangled-Universe for his cracked stones clip file, wich I employed slightly modified for the rocks on the scene

I'll continue working on it and I'll post some update when I'll have time. I'm also thinking about a desaturated B/W version like that to give some 'photograpic' fashion

Any comment and critic is very welcome!

Regards,

Lucio

rcallicotte

Love the sky, the grass, the setting, the rocks, and all related textures.  The tree is great with only the exception of the main bark and this is more question than understanding on my part.  It appears that the bark is vertically striped from bottom to top and I'm not sure I've seen a tree like that.  This is somewhat minor, but did catch my eye.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Njen

Nice concept.

I would suggest in putting a displacement on the leaves. Use a modified version of the leaf image texture. I have successfully done some tree tests with leaf displacement and have found that they look much, much better.

Also, you need some contrast in the grass. The lack of shadow, or dark parts close to the ground make the grass lose much detail and visual interest. To fake it, if you use a texture for the grass, then darken it at the bottom, with a lighter green at the top.

Maybe the environment value is turned up too much across the board for all the surfaces. Overall the tree, hill, grass and rocks lack shadowy areas and contrast.

FrankB

Quote from: Lucio on August 23, 2007, 07:48:13 PM

Rendering the image took many days (the original is 2000x1500 with AA set to 9) a...

Lucio, nice image. The helpful comment that I have, is that you shouldn't render at AA9. The increase in render time is enormeous at AA9.
Try to render a simple grey heightfield scene at e.g. 400x300 and quality 1. Render two version, one at AA3 the other at AA 5, and take note of the time increase by just doing that. I recently did that test and was surprised that about the increase in render time. I can't remember the %, but it was very considerable.
I think for still images, it should be enough to render at the default AA3 and do any necessary addditional adjustments in postwork. That'll save you a lot of time.

Regards,
Frank

Lucio

calico: You're right, the bark looks a bit too strange. This issue is a texture-related problem. I think a good solution is to remap the entire trunk with a custom built texture, then re-render it. I'll try to do that.

FrankB: Yes, a high AA value increased rendertimes painfully, especially for the sky, with all those cloud layers rendered without acceleration cache. However it helps to bring out a lot of subtle details that the default AA doesn't visualize so good, especially with far grassblades, stone displacement ecc. I'll post the full res version when I'll have the finished image

njen: Thank you very much for your hint about the foliage displacement, I never thought about it and I think I'll try. The lack of shadows is also caused by the sun heading, that almost follows the render camera direction. I set it like that beacuse tree and sky are rendered separately from the rest of the scene, so shadows could not interact between the two parts of the image. I'll try working on levels to get a contrast enhanced version that helps to get out some more detail on grass and tree foliage, something like this

Thank you all for the very helpful hints!

Lucio

Remapped the trunk and did some more color correction over the image, I also cut out the lower piece

EDIT:
Here's also a full-res b/w version, see the full-res link at imageshack

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1383/lonetreebwlw9.jpg

rcallicotte

I really like this.  The tree trunk looks more realistic and the overall scene is captivating.  It's very well done.

Just one note - the stones look pretty good, but a little more "scruffiness" or a roughed up look might have pushed this image over the edge.   :)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?