Call for Beta Testers: Terragen 3.4

Started by Matt, February 19, 2016, 10:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Just saved a test render of an older file in TG3.4 beta and it saved automatically in .bmp...thought that had changed to .tif in this version or did it default t the older version.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Matt

Quote from: Upon Infinity on February 21, 2016, 08:47:59 PM
Near as I can remember this is the first real beta since 1.9.0.3.1.  And it's a limited beta.  Just curious, why is this version different?  Other than being the last likely version of Terragen 3, I mean.

The alpha testers usually test every release candidate before it becomes a general release. However, this time around we didn't get enough feedback. For most of the testers it was a downgrade from Terragen 4 Alpha, even though it's an important update to TG3.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 22, 2016, 01:10:31 PM
Just saved a test render of an older file in TG3.4 beta and it saved automatically in .bmp...thought that had changed to .tif in this version or did it default t the older version.

If you're just saving a render from the Render View, it will save with the format you choose in the file save dialog. This defaults to whatever you have set in Preferences: File Saving. In your case it's probably still set to BMP. The 3.4 update won't change this setting for you. I recommend changing this to TIFF 8-bit-LZW as it saves a lot of disk space compared to BMP.

The new default setting mentioned in the change log only affects the settings on the render node's "Sequence/Output" tab ("Output image filename" and "Extra output images") which are used by the buttons "Render All To Disk" and "Render Sequence". Also, the only time this default matters is when TG initially sets up these filenames when creating a new project or new render node, so it won't change an existing project that you loaded.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on February 22, 2016, 05:48:27 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on February 22, 2016, 01:10:31 PM

If you're just saving a render from the Render View, it will save with the format you choose in the file save dialog. This defaults to whatever you have set in Preferences: File Saving. In your case it's probably still set to BMP. The 3.4 update won't change this setting for you. I recommend changing this to TIFF 8-bit-LZW as it saves a lot of disk space compared to BMP.

The new default setting mentioned in the change log only affects the settings on the render node's "Sequence/Output" tab ("Output image filename" and "Extra output images") which are used by the buttons "Render All To Disk" and "Render Sequence". Also, the only time this default matters is when TG initially sets up these filenames when creating a new project or new render node, so it won't change an existing project that you loaded.

Matt

D'oh, shoulda sussed that but I'm off my feed today it seems...thanks Matt
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Kevin F

A4size

From Japan.  / a4size.3dcg@gmail.com
I am afraid I am not good at English.  | Twitter - http://twitter.com/A4sizeCG
CGHUB  | http://a4size.cghub.com/

otakar

Ironshirt

Linux  :P

(sorry, couldn't resist :D)

bobbystahr

Happy to report that the opacity channel maps load on first use of an imported .obj. Went back to an old TG2 project and reloaded the house with no glass and just the glass separated out first after deleting the original so it was a first load in TG3.4 and you can see from the yellow-orange light coming out the opacity maps worked and the glass is nicely reflecting where appropriate. I'm uploading the image to Image sharing as there seems to be no way from here. Default Street...... will be in the title.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AP

Great, good to hear it is working out well now.

bobbystahr

Anyone getting any crashes. I just got one editing a texture on a .tgo. Just changing maps. Very odd.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Rumburak

No crashes so far. Everything is working fine.

AP

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 26, 2016, 05:15:27 PM
Anyone getting any crashes. I just got one editing a texture on a .tgo. Just changing maps. Very odd.

I will have to check that out on my end and post here is the same problem arises.

Oshyan

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 26, 2016, 05:15:27 PM

Can you reproduce the crash? Was there any error message or other diagnostic info?

- Oshyan