Terragen 3 crashed due to AVG detecting a virus..

Started by Erwin0265, February 29, 2016, 10:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erwin0265

OK, here's a weird one.
Today, after saving a test render, TG3 crashed with a warning popup from AVG telling me that a "Threat has been successfully removed."
Now I'm pretty damned sure that Planetside doesn't practice packaging viruses in with their software, but I thought I'd post this anyway in case it was some sort of bug (although this has never happened before and I have had v3.3 (build3.3.03.0) installed since it's release).
The only extra bit of info I can provide is the AVG screencaps I took after TG3 crashed:

[attach=1]
Initial notification

[attach=2]
"Details"

[attach=3]
More info (although it reads pretty much as a generic definition of a computer virus)
URL: http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/au-en/virus-and-malware-information/info/html-framer/?name=HTML/Framer&utm_source=TDPU&utm_medium=OS&PRTYPE=IS&utm_expid=34410884-35.M2uuviyXQs2HFeBAikaDgw.0

Hopefully, this provides "The Powers That Be" enough info to determine if there is a problem (or AVG is throwing a "hissy fit").
Naturally, it would also be good to hear from anybody that has has a similar (or identical) issue as that is the reason I posted here rather than directly to support@planetside............
Additional info (for what its worth)
Win 7 Pro 64-bit
32 GB RAM
2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275
OK, who farted?

N-drju

That's strange indeed. Maybe AVG recognizes Terragen as malware because it uses a considerable amount of RAM to operate? I think so, mostly because of what you wrote - this message "...can steal hard disk space and memory that slows down or completely halts your PC" perfectly (even if a bit ironically) describes what TG does with some systems! ;) Perhaps check antivirus settings, or make an exception for TG?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

That appears to actually be pointing out a potential virus on our *website*, which has nothing to do with the actual Terragen application. So it's odd that the crash of the *application* Terragen would have coincided with this virus detection. What were you doing at the time this happened?

We have recently run multiple security scans on our website and all looks to be fine. So it's probably a false positive.

- Oshyan

Erwin0265

QuoteSo it's probably a false positive.
Yeah, I think so.
Every time I log into http://www.planetside.co.uk I get the same popup (I only noticed this after I had started this thread).
It appears to me that when AVG last updated it's virus definitions, one of those definitions gets triggered by something on the Planetside site (I never thought that Planetside would happily "run along", all the while infecting user's PC's - that would be kinda stupid).
I think I'll just do as N-drju suggests and create an exception for http://www.planetside.co.uk...........
QuoteWhat were you doing at the time this happened?
I have no idea how this triggered AVG anyway, but all I did was wake my PC from sleep and then the first thing I did in TG3 was save a test render that I had left rendering the night before (the PC just goes to sleep when there is less than 5% CPU functioning, so renders can complete without the PC going to sleep during a render. I know TG2/3 already has that function but other programs like Vue do not............).

Edit:- AVG update "successfully" on 29.2.16; ie. just before this all happened. So it looks like AVG itself is the culprit. I'll let them know (for what it's worth) but still create an exception for Planetside anyway (once I work out how...)
OK, who farted?

N-drju

That leaves me really confused. I think that just last week I posted about a pop-up on Terragen-related sites which had some anti-spam "test" and a message that the IP I'm using might have been hacked and now you say that AVG wakes up when you enter Planetside... Strange coincidence, even though Oshyan says that anti-spam message is nothing unusual.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

The anti-spam message is definitely unrelated. It's an intentional function of our anti-spam system and occasionally it gets triggered by non-spammers. It's nothing personal. :D

- Oshyan

N-drju

Quote from: Oshyan on March 02, 2016, 01:12:22 PM
It's an intentional function of our anti-spam system and occasionally it gets triggered by non-spammers. It's nothing personal. :D

- Oshyan

Alrighty then. Got your point. Heheh. :D

bobbystahr

Quote from: Erwin0265 on March 02, 2016, 06:38:07 AM
QuoteSo it's probably a false positive.
So it looks like AVG itself is the culprit. I'll let them know

I'd change my AV app...Currently using Avira Free and am quite happy with it. Used AVG years back but did open source ClamWin till my cpu death and the new box came with Avira...never went back to ClamWin.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist