Kirkjufell mountain

Started by digitalguru, March 01, 2016, 10:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

DG,
What else are you working on using the methods so far discussed in this thread?
It has been eaten.

digitalguru

Just refined the method a bit.

Check the attached files.

bobbystahr

well done, fake stones and all.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Thanks for the setups, DG. It's great that this works.

digitalguru

I've just realised that the scalar setup scene had one small error - one of the displacement objects was casting shadows in the main render, so updated scene attached.

digitalguru

some more experiments...

taking the feed for the displacement from before the Compute Terrain is a bit limiting, so the next step was to test if I could export the displacement further down the chain - after say, you've make some smaller displacements along with surface shading.

Vector displacement seems to work ok, but scalar (non vector displacements) not so well.

Problem is, if I take the displacement after the compute terrain node,  looks like diffuse shading gets into the map, when it should be a pure greyscale map:

Scalar displacement with Compute Terrain OFF:
[attachimg=1]
Scalar displacement with Compute Terrain ON
[attachimg=2]

These are using the blue Displacement to Scalar node - I don't seem to have that problem with the Displacement to Vector node

To get around that I used a Displacement to Vector node and converted that into a scalar using this combination of blue nodes:
[attachimg=3]

Is there a better way of converting the vectors to a scalar in this instance? The displacement doesn't match as well as when I plugged it in before the Compute Terrain.

At the end of the day, using outputting vector displacement is the most accurate way to go, but there are situations where regular scalar displacement is the only option (using it with Zbrush fro example) - but it would be great to get the process working as well with scalar displacements as with vector.

p.s attached updated TGD scene files:

Dune

How about 'vector to colour'? Did you change the patch size of the compute node? It might need to be a meter or so, instead of 20m.

Matt

Either simply take the Y component of the vector or do a dot product with Get Normal In Geometry. For terrains near the origin both methods will give the same result.

By the way, converting scalars to colours is redundant, and so is converting vectors to colours. These conversions happen automatically.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

digitalguru

that's great and much simpler  :)

[attachimg=1]

vector displacement is very accurate comapred to the original terrain,

good now scalar works, but obviously any non Y displacement is lost.

wish I had this working when I made this original Kirjufell render!

thanks for all you advice

TheBadger

I can understand that you and matt understand what you are talking about, but thats about it.
Still VERY glad for the work you are doing, and for your doing it in the open.

THANK YOU!!

8)
It has been eaten.

digitalguru

hey Badger,

it's a lot simpler now, try this scene - just change the output path in the Sequence/Output tab of each render.

Then try loading the vector render into Mudbox to displace a terrain. Note this terrain is 8000x8000 so create a flat plance the same size.

Or if you have a 3d package that does vector displacment do the same with 8000 x 8000 plane.

give me a shout if you have any questions :-)

p.s if I get some time, I'll do a video tutorial

TheBadger

Hi, I have a couple of days now this week, so I plan on going on a 3D binder  :D I will try to go through everything paying close attention to what you and others wrote, but my only real hope is just to use what you did effectively.

I will be glad to see a tut on this topic. Hope it gets others involved too. Love to see what people can do once they learn this method for the soft that they own or have access to.

It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Saw an image from this thread in the new news letter, that linked to Facebook. Gives me hope that behind the scenes PS hs taken a big interest, since they used the image from mud... But the link from the image did not talk about vectors... Well I did not go through every link that Oshyan posted, so not sure. But still, the more interest PS takes, than the bigger chance they will develop for the topic in this thread sooner/better!

Just wild speculation of course.
It has been eaten.

digitalguru

That's cool!

b.t.w I posted a video for in the tutorials section.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.