VR Questions? Post them here

Started by Matt, March 03, 2016, 03:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Damn, I thought there should be a Spherical in the drop down but my TG3.4 doesn't have one. As I overwrote TG3.3 I can't check if it's just this version but in truth I've never seen that since I got the Full with Animation version. And I'm an OCD view updater....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

We want you to upload JPGs Bobby, that's why TIFF is not accepted. ;) There's no reason to upload TIFFs, they're unnecessarily big. But your submission is fine as-is in an archive.

As for the Spherical dropdown, are you talking about in the camera node's settings, or where? The Spherical option in the camera is a radio button, not dropdown.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on March 28, 2016, 04:02:59 PM
We want you to upload JPGs Bobby, that's why TIFF is not accepted. ;) There's no reason to upload TIFFs, they're unnecessarily big. But your submission is fine as-is in an archive.

As for the Spherical dropdown, are you talking about in the camera node's settings, or where? The Spherical option in the camera is a radio button, not dropdown.

- Oshyan

O K,I understand...a misunderstanding on my part....re: spherical drop down see Andy's post #86 in this thread
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Andy created a new camera and named it "Spherical Camera". That dropdown is for the available cameras. So the name of any camera you create will show up there. But of course that doesn't make it a spherical camera, it's just a name. The actual Spherical Camera *option* is in the camera node settings.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on March 28, 2016, 04:21:53 PM
Andy created a new camera and named it "Spherical Camera". That dropdown is for the available cameras. So the name of any camera you create will show up there. But of course that doesn't make it a spherical camera, it's just a name. The actual Spherical Camera *option* is in the camera node settings.

- Oshyan

D'oh, yeah...brain cramp...I guess I was assuming Andy was getting an actual spherical view in the 3D preview but his screen grab doesn't in fact show that. Think we'll ever get a preview of the spherical camera?; would be a time saver.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

RicardoFSilva

Hello,

While reading the Terragen VR Challenge rules, point 9 states that:

"Prepare to share your scene files with us (.TGD, objects, textures etc.). We may ask you to send us your files so that we can test how well the scene turns into a VR experience..."

My understanding is that one does not need to send the project files when submitting the images for the contest, they may be requested by Planetside at a later time.

I do not have any problem to send those files while submitting. However, I am using World Machine to generate the terrain and some textures, and the resulting files are above the 100 MB in size.

Can someone confirm that we do not need to send the project files while submitting for the VR contest?

Much appreciated,
Ricardo

Oshyan

Yes, that's correct Ricardo, for your initial submission you only need to send image files. We *may* later request your scene files during judgment, or if we have selected your scene as a winner (so that we can render it at higher quality/resolution).

- Oshyan

RicardoFSilva

Thanks Oshyan for the quick answer. I am almost done here, final adjustments for the cameras and I am done

Ricardo

AndyWelder

@ Hannes:
QuoteBut when you hit render (lo res with low quality settings for testing purposes - sometimes much faster than waiting for the preview), you get your spherical image.
Thank you for explaining this. I followed your advise and am waiting for the results to show; render is going on for 8:35:xx now and still the window is black. Render settings for this test are: Size 900x450, detail 0.5, AA 3. What I call "lo res, low quality."
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Oshyan

If that's 8 *hours* and 35 minutes, then it really sounds like something is wrong.

- Oshyan

AndyWelder

Yep, it was 8 hours 35 minutes, actually it's 9:31 now... I'll wait till tomorrow before I abort this render, just to be sure I'm not interrupting something going on in the background.

Dune

That small? Something is definitely wrong. You could try and put up the tgd for us to have a look at it.

AndyWelder

Looks like I found the reason for all the rendering problems: The displacements. ::) The bottom part of the front camera view took over 6 hours to complete @ 1000x1000 Q5 AA3. This particular part did show some of the island the camera is positioned on. The other sides of the cube rendered much faster except the render of the camera looking down: This render is going on for over 31 hours and not even half way completed, most renderbuckets take up to 12 hours to complete. :(

Ariel DK

Hi to all

I just have two simple questions:

1) I can use public DEM data sets?

2) and probably no much relationated with the contest: How works the "Gathered project" option?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Forget the 2nd question ;)
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Oshyan

Yes, you can use public DEM data, absolutely. You can use any external resources (objects, images, textures, etc.) but you have to render the final entry completely in Terragen.

- Oshyan