Why can't the US adopt metric measurements??

Started by moodflow, August 24, 2007, 12:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Quote from: RealUser on August 25, 2007, 05:08:49 AM
The two systems could be used simultaneously. This is how the Euro was introduced to the Germans. Every price tag was in Deutsche Mark (DM) and Euro (€). I think now after several years has everyone got used to it.

Yes, exactly.

- Oshyan

Volker Harun

Well, we use non-metrics, too. When buying adapters for my hose, water system,, everything is 1/2", 3/4" and so on.

MooseDog

Quote from: Oshyan on August 24, 2007, 11:29:54 PM
It would have to be led by the government, top-down, but it could work, it is possible...

i dunno.  i may be showing my age, but this was tried once back in the carter administration (mid-late '70's).  gov't fiat, everything must change.  after a couple of years it just died on the vine. pfft!

resistance to change is a human trait, not a national one imho.  coupled with the defined powers of the federal gov't and each of the 50 states and you've got a laughable failure.

Oshyan

Yeah, I know it was tried. I don't know why it failed though. My guess is it just wasn't mandated strongly enough. There have been plenty of other government-mandated upgrades/changes (high definition TV is but the latest). It's certainly possible...

- Oshyan

N810

mmm hey aren't europeans still buying pints of beer at the pub?
pints aren't metric....

Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

Will

There is also just the fact the America is pretty big and we would have to replace about half the road signs. let along the mile marks for highways.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Volker Harun

@n810 ... only the silly Britains do that.
@Will ... this is how to get rid of unemployment for some period.

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Will

moodflow

Quote from: BPauba on August 25, 2007, 11:50:00 AM
So when a politician comes along and announces he will change to the metric system, well he has my vote! :D

But he/she would also lose the votes of millions of "home town style" contractors.   ;D
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Volker Harun

Moodflow .. you are supposed to be miles away on holidays! Still sitting in the yard and having pints?

rcallicotte

Pints!?  Bloody hell.   ;D

Quote from: Volker Harun on August 28, 2007, 10:53:55 AM
Moodflow .. you are supposed to be miles away on holidays! Still sitting in the yard and having pints?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

moodflow

Quote from: Volker Harun on August 28, 2007, 10:53:55 AM

Heheh, actually at home relaxing on the deck 8)   Too bad there is no surf or I'd be out in the water!
Still have a chance to check the forums now and then, but since my home office is being used by guests, I can't do any TG2 work.

Ohh, and about the pint:  Since I'm a "lightweight", a pint would put me under!  Even my wife can drink more than me...so I just have a few sips now and then.  Cheap date I guess.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Volker Harun

When I used to drink - and this is now more than 10 years ago - you were not allowed to leave without having 4 to 5 half litres of brewed stuff.