unreal engine 4 it's free

Started by Nacer Eddine, March 27, 2016, 03:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

QuoteThe 'only' hook is if you start making money above a set amount you pay a 5% royalty fee.

And only if you make a *non-linier* product. IF you use it to tell a linear story- a short or film or show of some kind, you pay nothing ever. that is unreal's stated policy, sorry I am too lazy now to go get and post it right now, but is there if someone wants to.
pretty good deal. Unless you make a game (or some other kind of real time interactive product) that makes millions, than 5% is a lot. But arguably the game may not be made with out the free soft, so...

QuoteTheBadger is so right about the potential here

;D :) ;D now there are a few of us to harp on PS! thats fun.
It has been eaten.

AP

There is also Amazon's Lumberyard and Crytek's Cry Engine.

Dune

You're very persuasive, Michael, and I appreciate that! I will have to find a way to get this running. I hope the editor won't take tons of MB's, as my online machine is nearly choked. So installing on an external HD from that machine may be the best indeed, then copy the lot to the fast machine. As long as dependencies aren't broken up then... I'm always a bit reluctant to install big new stuff on a good working machine.
Interesting and thanks for all your input, guys!

AP

Overall, at least there are a few engines within the market place to choose from which is always good.

Nacer Eddine

The Ultra HD with Unreal engine

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on March 30, 2016, 12:35:30 PM
Besides, I have been waiting for you and hannes and T-U and about 40 other people from these forums to do it, so I can enjoy the work.

Never mentioned it before...?  ???

TheBadger

QuoteNever mentioned it before

Only about 100 threads or so. But by user name? No. I just thought most people here would not need goading for it. Its free, and TG has made everyone here pretty technically proficient. TO use unreal for single still images or for liner story, I am still pretty sure that a lot of people here would find it easier than they found TG2 if they started with TG2 from scratch. TG2 was a pretty freaking hard program to begin learning 3D with... as I recall :D
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

I must've missed it.  :o I can literally count the number of times I've heard of Unreal on this forum on one hand.  This is the first I know of that said it was free.

bobbystahr

"The recommended computer is a six core i7, 32 gigs of system ram........"
........puts me right out of the ball park
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

OK, most of those threads were about VR. But epic was mentioned throughly. Its alright man, you don't have to read all of my rants. I won't take it personal  :'(

Also, you get a free game when you download the soft. Tournament something or other. And there was another game too, but don't know if that one is still included. looked cool, but I never had time to play them and I didn't feel like spending money on a game controller. Let me know if you do, and if you think its worth getting into.
It has been eaten.