yes, its free .
you can download the program from the official website

https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4

look this example he did it in two days
8 min of dream

Nacer Eddine

another one with the same designer

PabloMack

I feel like I've been on a mini-vacation. Thanks.

Dune

Too bad this software can't be used offline. I hate being online all the time.

AP

One has to be on-line in order to run the software?

Dune

Perhaps it's only the installer, but still. If I were to work in UE, I would prefer to install it on an offline machine. My fast machine doesn't even have connection. And there seems to be no offline installer.

TheBadger

just contact them, ulco. The reason this is all on line is to reduce cost and logistics.

ITs great soft ulco, and you have both mud and Z, which means (with TG) you can take full use of what is basically a near totally free-flow pipeline. And your also a technically minded person. (also, you get totally free access to about 10,000 assets of mostly better quality than what you get from places like DAZ and in a much better format).

Basically you (and this is NOT an insult or crit of any kind) don't really focus on total "photo realism", and UnReal really allows for stylization by the individual.

There is money to be made, ulco. and your up front cost is ZERO dollars. More billions than the movie industry I have heard. Go get some of it man!

Besides, I have been waiting for you and hannes and T-U and about 40 other people from these forums to do it, so I can enjoy the work. Either for games of some kind or I thought more likely for -linear- story telling of some kind. Heck, if all pros worked as hard and as long as the hobbyists and part timers around here, there would be a lot less complaing about what comes out of hollywood in the world  ;D ;)

Can I possibly be any more encouraging than this?  ;) :D
It has been eaten.

j meyer

I'm in the same boat as Ulco.

There is a compile yourself version on github, but that's not really a solution in my eyes.

An official answer to an offline installer request:
"Hello NK,

We don't currently have an offline mode, but if you would like to install the engine without the launcher you can build it from the source through Github.

We have considered an offline installer but there is certain info that we require from users upon installation (EULA agreement, etc). So at this point we don't have plans to implement this in the near future."

TheBadger

funny.
No hope then?

Well bite the bullet and make the PC connectable guys, been waiting forever to see what you do and hear about how you do it.

I am not too interested in making a game anyway, just places maybe a game could happen in. I was just guessing that environment creation was what people here would also be interested in, regardless of what does or could happen in that enviro.

Also,
cryengine?
fluidray?
There is a bunch of real time engines now, but don't think free though. Fluid-ray looks pretty real. don't know what its limits are.
It has been eaten.

AP

So no off-line installer. Alright.

zaxxon

Actually you can work offline in the Editor, it's the initial install and set-up that requires a connection. And even then per the UE forums you can use a connected computer with an external hard drive to install on a non-connected computer:

"You can just install the engine on any internet-connected PC (it doesn't need to be capable of running UE4, only the launcher) and copy it over (from C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.x) to an external drive, transfer it to your PC, and then run Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe (might want to create a shortcut). It doesn't actually require the launcher or any kind of authentication to run, as the editor is entirely self-contained.

You'll have to repeat the process for engine updates, though there will be less stuff to download if you use the same computer again and it still has everything installed.

If using another PC is not an option for some reason, you're out of luck as even the source code requires downloading some dependencies from external servers (which Epic themselves can't legally host)."

Unreal Engine (and Unity as well) are made to work with most DCC apps and their more esoteric siblings such as; Realflow, World Machine, Substance designer, etc. The output can be 4x's the screen resolution, including 4k imagery, and it happens in real-time (or very near at higher resolutions). Granted, the minimal specs for your hardware to do something like the "Kite Demo", as in this video:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+kite+demo+4k&view=detail&mid=94BEC44D4E6AF5B5E99194BEC44D4E6AF5B5E991&FORM=VIRE

The recommended computer is a six core i7, 32 gigs of system ram, and a upper level gaming video card. The link above is using one GTX 980ti with 6 gigs of GDDR5 ram (no SLI at present). TheBadger is so right about the potential here. With the recent postings by Digital Guru showing how to export a TG terrain out to Mudbox (as well as Maya, Max, etc), hopefully it won't be too long before we can use TG with one of these great game engines!

masonspappy

Honest Opinion: Any software that ties you to a mandatory  online internet process,  and/or isn't available in a trial package ("The Grove" plant modeler comes to mind for the latter) isn't worth the money.  Never has been, never will be.   I'd at least like to get a feel for what I'm buying before I buy it, and being locked into the internet tells me my rendering machine is vulnerable to any intrusion the manufacturer cares to commit.

zaxxon

Unreal and Unity are free programs, no need for a demo  :). You can run the programs offline and depending on what you want to accomplish there is tons of free content available, plus numerous forums and online tutorials to advance your skills. The 'only' hook is if you start making money above a set amount you pay a 5% royalty fee. I'd say that's pretty darn cool.

AP

The Groove plugin for Blender?