Haze density or render quality?

Started by luvsmuzik, April 02, 2016, 04:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

I am attaching an image of a render attempting to duplicate "godrays". I am wondering if my settings are incorrect, since i am getting the graininess in the rays, or if it is due to the limitations of the free version. I have used Terragen for over ten years, way back to when you could animate with a script, but not add objects. In this image, the terra is brownish, with effect of lighting and shadow casting the greenish tint. I am okay with that, but I do not like the graininess of the rays. HELP!

yossam

What are your settings for atmosphere and clouds................screen shot or post the .tgd if you want.  :)

Someone around here will help you out..................welcome to the forum.  ;)

luvsmuzik

I will post the tgd file. Normal settings were a surface layer project with a "hot sun", then turned it into this by messing with settings following an old tutorial about godrays. Percentages and numbers a little different in newer versions of Terragen, but I'm getting the drift. Desert6.jpg is normal sun, no clouds....Thanks for the welcome BTW!

masonspappy

Maybe I'm remembering this incorrectly but doesn't " Receive Shadows from Surfaces" need to be checked for Godrays?

Kadri

Welcome to the forum.
Try values like 64 ("quality" tab+Number of samples) in the "atmosphere" node.
Changing the quality value to "1" in the Altocumulus layer node helps too.

You can try higher values too if they don't help especially in the Atmosphere node.
Render times will be longer of course.

yossam

I did exactly what was suggested by Kadri and masonspappy plus I went up on your cloud density by .01. With the atmosphere density as high as it is............it's going to take some pretty high render and quality settings to get rid of the noise. The render was done at .65 quality and 6 AA............it could stand more.  ;)

luvsmuzik

That is the effect I was looking for! i will try those settings and download the adjusted file. I am not sure I can get that much quality with free version, but I'm sure gonna try it. Render time is okay, I am getting more patience through the years. Thank you all very much! (Edit post) Added re render and way old render with old free plugin for foam. Those were the days!

yossam

Just be sure you your pic when you get thru............... :)

luvsmuzik

I added the re render in post edit along with an old version 9 render with one of those optional plugins for foam.I did have to filter the brightness on the godrays out of program, but hey, I like it. Thanks again!

Oshyan

This noise is almost certainly due largely to needing more atmosphere samples. You can generally tell this because the noise is in the atmosphere and is in areas where there is no cloud, thus it is likely to be from the Atmosphere itself. 64 Samples is a reasonable setting. Using higher main render Detail is also ideal, although you are limited in the free version.

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

Woohoo! On a roll. Changed the sun position and even better. I will go off and experiment some more. Thanks again.  :)

Clay

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 02, 2016, 06:16:14 PM
That is the effect I was looking for! i will try those settings and download the adjusted file. I am not sure I can get that much quality with free version, but I'm sure gonna try it. Render time is okay, I am getting more patience through the years. Thank you all very much! (Edit post) Added re render and way old render with old free plugin for foam. Those were the days!

I miss Water Works big time. Everything he produced worked great...wonder when that stuff will turn up in TG modern...they set classic apart from all the others at that time...can y hear the pleading in my voice jo? heh heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

So little time, so many files.....I went back and adjusted the atmosphere quality in several old projects. As Kadri suggested.....wow, what a difference. I do not know how I missed that slider, I always look for those! Godray1 at old settings...number 2 with way more samples in atmosphere. GREAT!

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on April 03, 2016, 04:31:21 AM
Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 02, 2016, 06:16:14 PM

I miss Water Works big time. Everything he produced worked great...wonder when that stuff will turn up in TG modern...they set classic apart from all the others at that time...can y hear the pleading in my voice jo? heh heh heh

Here is some real old stuff. Hope the link works.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipP5fNOPrWcUvQXEvmbnlsTNf1BfzjIPov03VWWe