Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

although I am on FB I really don't trust it enough to let it have that much control of me. must dig into vive's privacy as nada has been said re: that yet.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

reck

Technically the Vive looks leaps and bounds ahead of the rift and it's not owned by FB which is a plus. It also costs a hell of a lot more as well though.

I've not heard anything bad about the Vive ToC which is contrary to the Rift in terms of what they want to track.

Also I don't like how the Rift guys are trying to put everything behind a walled garden so you can only play their games, from their store on their device. Vive allows any developer to make games for it and make it available on steam like any other game. They are making it just another peripheral, like a controller if you like, which is good.

At the moment i'm rooting for the Vive but I can't justify the cost yet plus my computer can't handle it.

TheBadger

The oculus is definitely lower spec quality compared to the Vive from everything I have heard and seen. The vive has better tracking and supposedly better hand controls too. Yes it costs more, but will probably hold up better over time, though we can expect upgrades to come pretty quick across the board. I have also heard repeditly that you can stay in VR longer with Vive.

The rift will work with the xbox universe, the vive with PC valve universe. But I have heard that MS will join the xbox platform and the PC platform so that PC gamers can match with xbox gamers, so that may make it possible for vive to work in the xbox universe... Don't know though. I guess you will not be able to plug vive into xbox or playstation directly.

Probably its a safe bet at this point that there will be more people with rift, so if you are thinking about making content, then that may be useful if true. But remember BETA and VHS too.  :o so who knows who will come out on top.

It will be a cluster fuck. It already is. But I think thats kinda part of the fun.

I have the rift DK2. I am very enthusiastic about all this VR, augmented stuff. But if you just want to toy around then you should not jump in to fast (though the DK was only 300 ;) ). But if you already know you love it and want to play or develop, then simply buy the best that you have money for at the time.
And in the format you will most likely better understand or enjoy, i.e., xbox Vs PC gaming, Vs., video and sound, so on.

Also, rift shipping is now totally screwed. But vive is sipping on time. You will probably wait months for your rift if you order today.
Articles on that from wallstreet Journal /oculus.

I just hope to see animations from you guys in VR by next year!!!!!  8)And from me, sometime before I die ::)

Oh yeah, P.S.
screw fuckerbug.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: reck on April 18, 2016, 03:49:09 PM

At the moment i'm rooting for the Vive but I can't justify the cost yet plus my computer can't handle it.

Same here but I dunno if I can even afford a computer to run TG4...An i7 and a high end vid card seems a minimum and that's a bit of an expense on top of the program...sigh....but who knows...my running TG3 is evidence that miracles happen.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AP

I have an i5 Quad Core and four gigabytes of ram with what I can do. Terragen 4's Raytracer preview for example if I am not mistaken runs on a CPU and not a GPU. I think we should be just fine for now.

bobbystahr

Quote from: AP on April 18, 2016, 09:38:30 PM
I have an i5 Quad Core and four gigabytes of ram with what I can do. Terragen 4's Raytracer preview for example if I am not mistaken runs on a CPU and not a GPU. I think we should be just fine for now.

Still means a new computer for me as my clunky old dell optiplex 780 dual core @ 3Ghz barely cuts TG3.4
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AP

Hopefully, Terragen 4 will be more optimized then the current version.   :-\