Rocks and sea V1 WIP

Started by Michelh, May 18, 2016, 02:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Increasing the environment light's multiplier will brighten the scene. Curious to see what you're up to.

ajcgi

No, it will make everything brighter. :P Just swing your spotlight away from the camera (still pointing towards the cave. Try to get a rimlight effect on the rock.
Additional lightsources are perfectly valid.

[edit] See attached image for what I'm getting at. If you raise the environment light you'll get the light in the cave, but you'll also get a ridiculously bright everything else. If you light the cave as though it's the sun, you'll get the effect of the sunlight without the blown out exposure.

Michelh

Thanks all for the explications, i did do modifications, here is the first part of the video I am rendering atm .. it is low res.

With sound. ( just  a WIP )

Michelh

I increased the environment lights took the others lights off and gaved the sun a diffrent amount. I did not move the suns position but that might happen later on. The sun now has a value bigger the  before. I also played with the waves and the shadows.

Hannes

Quote from: ajcgi on May 23, 2016, 08:54:31 AM
No, it will make everything brighter. :P Just swing your spotlight away from the camera (still pointing towards the cave. Try to get a rimlight effect on the rock.
Additional lightsources are perfectly valid.

[edit] See attached image for what I'm getting at. If you raise the environment light you'll get the light in the cave, but you'll also get a ridiculously bright everything else. If you light the cave as though it's the sun, you'll get the effect of the sunlight without the blown out exposure.

Additional lightsources are perfectly valid if you're looking for some sort of a not necessarily natural artistic look. I know that additional light sources are still used even in modern movies (although way more subtle than let's say 50 years ago - thank god), but a lot of times it's very obvious. It may work to get a quite natural result using this method, if you're very, very careful, but it's really tough!

And sure, you'll get a ridiculously bright everything else if you increase the environment light's multiplier ridiculously! Of course you shouldn't use a value of 100!!!!!
Yes, it will make everything brighter. But if you're really careful, it won't look too bad on the area that's not meant to be brighter. To me the lighting by an additional light source always looks like what it is: an additional light source.

Dune

It's nice, like an old movie from early last century. But I think your wave movement should be bigger and the foam should also move a bit. You can use a transform shader under the foam and move it's Y over time.

ajcgi

That looks nice. Well done.  :)
Many films use extra lighting for a variety of creative reasons. They still look real and the physics of those lights is just incredible. ;)

bobbystahr

Agree with Ulco, and a ship moving at that apparent speed would be generating a wake that would be sending at very least, ripples cave ward...but that's a nit pick. Good work on the lighting....nice animating there as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Michelh

So I worked a bit more on the scene made a few changes, as always feedback is welcome.

bobbystahr

That for me works better...think you can animate the wake? Haven't tried much animation in TG...not enough power here, or cash for pixel plow.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Michelh

That would be a problem, but that is where vfx would come in.. but later on. I will try to do it do .

Hannes

The lighting looks very good. In case you used additional lightsources - well done!! It looks quite natural.

Michelh

So I worked on it a bit more. Here is the result.

Thanks Hannes, bobby and the others for the feedback.

bobbystahr

Nice wake and I like the swirling foam in the cave as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New