Will an Atmosphere within an atmosphere work?

Started by Themodman101, May 23, 2016, 04:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Themodman101

I have been practicing to do my ultimate dream Terragen project for the past few weeks. And I have begun working on it. However I have some issues with regards to my planet within a planet part. I knew this was going to be a really long shot, but I have been trying anyway.

So this is what I have:

Planet is 2500 Meters in Radius, and I have adjusted the atmosphere to these settings:

And here is my planet Settings:

For the life of me I cant get it to show up, is this a limitation of physics/terragen 3?  Or is this something I am doing wrong? I did some searching, and tried following all the advice I got in a much older and different project I tried to do. But none of that worked either.

Has anyone else messed around with this sort of idea before? or gotten a second atmosphere to work on a very small planetoid?

Kadri

Don't know the inner workings of the atmosphere and i might be totally wrong.
But from a fast test that i made it looks like if you want to see the atmo of the second small planet you have to exaggerate the settings.
When you render the two planets together you can not see much from the second planet atmo.
But if you disable the big one and render you can see the small atmo.
Not sure how you worked on it but first disable the big one and play with the settings until you see the atmo to your liking of the small planet.
Then try very bigger setting in haze,blue sky density-additive etc. and see how it looks.

Rendering the planets separately and compositing afterwards might be easier probably.
Because you might get problems with the lighting too with the above approach.

Kadri

Looking at your pictures above, lowering your first planets atmo settings like haze etc. might be help too.

KlausK

hi

in the second panel with the settings for planet2 the second atmosphere is not connected to the planet.
There is only the power fractal shader in the surface slot assigned, the atmosphere slot is empty.
Not sure if that is a (the) problem, but I had it connected.

I would recommend to disable the main atmosphere completely at first.
This helps to see what is going on around your second planet.
Use bright and unrealistic colours to see the haze and the "bluesky". Also, setting the haze density pretty high
lets you see it. Once you got something showing up you can work your way backwards to get more realistic results.
Be aware that the displacement you create with the power fractal shader can eat up your atmosphere.

I have attached a scene and a few test renderings, so you can see that it is not a Terragen limitation at all ;)
Good luck, hope that helps.

cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

hi kadri

never had done that before. I was wondering if that would be possible as well.
I read your post just now and I see, we were on the same track tackling this problem.
Nice.

cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Themodman101

Oh wow, great suggestions!

Good to see someone else is also thinking about this. Thank you for the examples. Am working on it now to see if I have done anything else wonky, I'm starting fresh as far as the planet is concerned in case I did something wrong. And the file helped quite a lot.

Sorry I had the atmosphere disconnected in the pic, but I had been working with it connected previously, I was disconnecting it there and trying to do it a different way. Which didn't work of course haha.

I will post when if figured out how to make it work well, in case others want to do the same thing. Thank you KlausK for sharing! Its been incredibly helpful. And you too Kadri.

Will update ASAP.

UPDATE:

You guys are awesome, I got it working great!

Attached is an update.

I'm trying to figure out how and where I want to view this from, I think I have a camera path in mind. Also I'm wondering a bit about how to smooth out some of the crazy spikes in smaller areas of displacement. I think I will have to use the painted shader to mask the whole cliff displacement set. And create a new one for the areas outside of the crater.

Does anyone have any ideas/critiques about the clouds? I tried using the vortex to create a vortex of clouds but I'm having a hard time getting it to feel right.