Started by yossam, May 30, 2016, 08:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

They are both checked.............. ???

bobbystahr

I see, CC = PsCloud...too bad in some ways.....and a mighty mystery re: the shadows....  Watching this to see if anyone can figure out what happened. Could happen to anyone and best be prepared.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N810

Are you using ray traced shadows on all parts of the drawing
and is the ground receiving any shadows ?
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

yossam

Yes and yes...........I think I may have it narrowed down. Will post later..........more experiments to make sure.  ;D

yossam

Found my shadows......................... :P

bobbystahr

100% better, wtf were they hiding?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

yossam

If you turn your bump map up too far your shadows disappear.................learned something today.  :-[

fleetwood

You keep saying bump map. Are you using bump (simulated disp no shadows cast off object ) or real displacement  ?

The image shader has the option to interpret the image for real displacement.

This is a super crude test just using your first render directly as an image projection onto the ground but with real displacement derived from the image set at .3.

yossam

I was using bump maps, normal maps, etc to see which worked better. This one is forced displacement set at .005.

bobbystahr

Quote from: yossam on June 06, 2016, 07:32:53 PM
I was using bump maps, normal maps, etc to see which worked better. This one is forced displacement set at .005.

Interesting as to where the shadows went...odd that. I find the forced displacement always looks just that, 'forced' and not really natural...must be the no ray tracing that does that.
Is that ground texture on an imported object or just the ground? If it's the ground wouldn't regular displacement work? Then it may look more natural.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Indeed. It should be ground/planet or a plane, so displacement would be in order, not bump.

yossam

Still playin'.............. :P

bobbystahr

Quote from: yossam on June 07, 2016, 03:50:39 PM
Still playin'.............. :P

In the surface layer turn smoothing on and you won't have displacement from the terrain coming through(thanx Ulco for that tip long ago)unless of course you want it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Force Displacement has no effect on the planet. And the "force" just means it is rendering it with the non-raytracing rendering method, there is nothing really "forced" about it. ;) It's true though that the non-raytraced rendering method does not produce quality that is as high, which is why ray-tracing is the default and considered best method. It can't do displacement at present though, which again is what the "force" mode is for (which, to reiterate, only works on non-displaceable objects; some native objects in TG like the Planet, Sphere, and newer displaceable Cube are all natively displaceable and shouldn't have the "Force" option).

- Oshyan