Editing specularity value in .mtl files.

Started by Upon Infinity, May 31, 2016, 04:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Anyone have experience editing .mtl files.  I know you can view the code in notepad, but I find that the specularity on objects I create is often set to 1, when I'd rather have it at 0.

Dune

I think if you open in text editor and do a search and replace (specularity=1 into specularity=0, or whatever it's called exactly), it would work. Just test with a simple file.

El Kabong

If this is any help, from wiki   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavefront_.obj_file

The specular color is declared using Ks, and weighted using the specular exponent Ns.

Ks 0.000 0.000 0.000     # black (off)
Ns 10.000                # ranges between 0 and 1000

bobbystahr

Quote from: Upon Infinity on May 31, 2016, 04:18:13 AM
Anyone have experience editing .mtl files.  I know you can view the code in notepad, but I find that the specularity on objects I create is often set to 1, when I'd rather have it at 0.

I run everything through PoseRay for mainly that function as a lot of imported .3ds or .obj seem to have that setting
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Upon Infinity

Quote from: El Kabong on June 01, 2016, 07:47:33 PM
If this is any help, from wiki   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavefront_.obj_file

The specular color is declared using Ks, and weighted using the specular exponent Ns.

Ks 0.000 0.000 0.000     # black (off)
Ns 10.000                # ranges between 0 and 1000

Sorry for the late reply.  Thanks, El Kabong, exactly what I was looking for!

Yeah, Bobby, a lot of people swear by PoseRay.  I downloaded it once, but had trouble picking it up.  I suppose as long as I have some workarounds, I can keep putting off having to learn it.

Ideally, I should be able to switch specularity off in the modelling software (3D Coat).  Haven't figured it out, as yet.

El Kabong

In Poseray
Materials tab then Tools tab pull down
Fix Specular Levels  :o