Author Topic: Ocean  (Read 18549 times)

Offline Hannes

Re: Ocean
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2016, 08:14:30 AM »
Thanks, Nils!!
Here's another quick and dirty one with shadows, environment light and GI (plus flicker!!! >:()

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2016, 08:39:56 AM »
Do you have two sets of waves on a 90 angle? On the left side that's quite remarkable. If so, I'd reduce that angle.

Offline Hannes

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2016, 09:08:43 AM »
Do you have two sets of waves on a 90 angle? On the left side that's quite remarkable. If so, I'd reduce that angle.

Indeed. In some reference videos it just looked like this, but maybe it looks better with a lower angle. I'll try that. Thanks for your suggestion, Ulco.

Offline dorianvan

• Vandegrift Renderings
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2016, 02:25:01 AM »
Looking great!
-Dorian

Offline Hannes

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2016, 08:25:56 AM »
Thanks!!!
Next iteration. Still lots of things to do... (cloud layer as the boatwake's spray for example...)

Offline DocCharly65

• May the farce be with you...
    • Doc Charly on YouTube
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2016, 08:38:10 AM »
Thats just WOW! Great great great, Hannes!

I see some little things but I am too respectfully silent at the moment to nitpick. I'll just will wait for the coming anims :-)

Offline Hannes

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2016, 08:46:42 AM »
Thats just WOW! Great great great, Hannes!

I see some little things but I am too respectfully silent at the moment to nitpick. I'll just will wait for the coming anims :-)

Thanks, Nils!!! Feel free to nitpick. I know there's a lot of things that have to be improved. At the moment I broke up the crests a bit, since they are looking kind of solid. I added an additional displacement for the wake, and the animation of the sails (yes they are animated - barely visible, I know) could be better.

Offline DocCharly65

• Doc Charly on YouTube
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2016, 09:00:03 AM »
I have seen that with the sails and I knew, that you are doing hard work on it. And because I am working on a tgd of a kind mentor to get a coast with waves, I know how hard it is. So nitpicking is no fun (and with my 0.00 zero bluenodes-knowledge even not helpful) ...  ;)

Offline Hannes

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »
To me as well these blue nodes are still a mystery... :(

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
Super, Hannes! Yes, there are some tiny things, but you're really getting there. Is this single ship, not a pop?

Offline Hannes

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2016, 09:48:41 PM »
Super, Hannes! Yes, there are some tiny things, but you're really getting there. Is this single ship, not a pop?

Thanks, Ulco! Yes, I started with a pop, but the motion was too rough, so I used a single object. Well spotted!

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2016, 06:07:27 AM »
Well, it doesn't move (or does it, just a little?)  ;) I requested objects to be able to have some sort of 'sit on' and 'refresh every frame' option; would be very handy for these things.

Offline Hannes

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2016, 07:57:03 AM »
The actual one is a single object (with a subtle little handanimation).
In my previous tests I used pops and a compute terrain with an appropriate gradient patch size. It works somehow, but most of the time it doesn't really look like a ship moving through water imho.
So if the animation isn't too long it's not too complicated to create a little motion per hand.

Offline DocCharly65

• Doc Charly on YouTube
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2016, 07:58:57 AM »
So if the animation isn't too long it's not too complicated to create a little motion per hand.

absolutely dito  ;)

Offline Kadri

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2016, 01:12:06 PM »
The actual one is a single object (with a subtle little handanimation).
In my previous tests I used pops and a compute terrain with an appropriate gradient patch size. It works somehow, but most of the time it doesn't really look like a ship moving through water imho.

Have you tried  a second invisible much smoother ground for the crowd sim Hannes?
You could offset it even for a different look.

anything