Ocean

Started by Hannes, June 05, 2016, 06:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Yes, to get some sort of delay even, when a ship hits a wave.

Hannes

Great ideas, guys. Thanks!
In this case the movement of the ship looks quite OK to me, so I'll try to focus on other things.

Here is the latest version. I reduced the blue water area (it looked a bit unnatural to me), which reduced rendertimes as well  :) :) :)
For the frontal part of the wake I added a masked white fake stones shader. Using a cloud layer didn't really look good. I couldn't get a terrain conforming cloud, so I thought about trying other possibilities. Maybe the fake stones should be a bit more prominent... I'll keep on testing!

Matt

I continue to be in awe.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Getting better and better!

DocCharly65

Gets more and more movie-like!

Hannes

Thanks a lot, guys!! You make me feel good! :) :) :)

Hannes

Here is a quick, dirty and short bow wave test (no water shader and no GISD for testing purposes). I used an additional larger fake stones shader with less density and a higher tallness.

Dune

That looks pretty good (understatement). For high detailed bowwaves you could make a vdisp mask, but that won't be necessary here, I presume. And I wonder how that could be animated  :-\

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on July 20, 2016, 05:52:28 AM
That looks pretty good (understatement). For high detailed bowwaves you could make a vdisp mask, but that won't be necessary here, I presume. And I wonder how that could be animated  :-\

Me too... :o
A particle system would be nice. Don't you think, Matt?  ;D ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hannes

I managed to create a terrain conforming cloud layer as spray, masked with the same image sequence I used for the persistance of the foam, plus an animated PF. The radius of the localised cloud is way too small, but it's only for testing.

Dune

Hard to see what it really does.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on July 22, 2016, 05:36:48 AM
Hard to see what it really does.

Yes, the quality is quite low. It's meant as spray blown off the crests by the wind.

Kind of...

I'm still experimenting, but I'm glad I could make at least the cloud layer follow the animated "terrain".

Dune

You should be, I still find it hard to get cloud to follow terrain, never know if I need a compute terrain, and how high the multiplying factor should be.

Hetzen

Well done Hannes. That looks interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing a higher rez still of this.

What's your plan with the cloud layer?

Hannes

Quote from: Hetzen on July 22, 2016, 08:45:46 AM
Well done Hannes. That looks interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing a higher rez still of this.

What's your plan with the cloud layer?

Thanks Jon,
as I wrote, it's meant as spray blown off the crests by the wind. I'll see, if I can make it look more natural.